Using Motion Tracking Filter with Simple Text

In this quick tutorial I will demonstrate the how to use the new, game-changing Motion Tracker filter paired with the simple text filter using Shotcut video editor. This new Motion Tracker filter elevates Shotcut to compete closer to the enterprise-level video editors. It’s exciting what all the new additions are to the 23.05.14 version.

10 Likes

Good tutorial! One thing to note is that you do not need to clear the current Keyframes before reloading through the dialog. It has an automatic reset function.

1 Like

Great! That’s good to know!

Merci pour ce tutoriel, comme d’habitude très instructif.

J’ai aussi fait quelques essais notamment pour voir la différence entre Absolu et Relatif.
Sur la piste V1, j’ai mis le filtre Text: Simple et importé les images-clés depuis l’analyse de Motion Tracker réalisée avec l’option Absolu.
Sur la piste V2, j’ai mis un clip transparent avec le filtre Text: Simple mais importé les images-clés depuis l’analyse de Motion Tracker réalisée avec l’option Relatif.
Voici le résultat. Lettres blanches = Absolu ; Lettres jaunes = Relatif
Je trouve personnellement que le résultat avec Absolu est plus fluide qu’avec Relatif.
En examinant la fenêtre des images-clés, je constate que Absolu produit des images-clés Discrètes et Relatif des images-clés Aplanir. Pourquoi ?
En ajoutant à la piste V2 un filtre SPR pour amener le texte Absolu à la même position que le texte Relatif, voici le résultat.

Thanks for this tutorial, as usual very informative.

I’ve also done a few tests to see the difference between Absolute and Relative.
On track V1, I used the Text: Simple filter and imported the keyframes from the Motion Tracker analysis done with the Absolute option.
On track V2, I set a transparent clip with the Text: Simple filter but imported the keyframes from the Motion Tracker analysis performed with the Relative option.
Here’s the result. White letters = Absolute; Yellow letters = Relative

I personally find that the result with Absolute is smoother than with Relative.
Looking at the keyframe window, I see that Absolute produces Discrete keyframes

Capture du 2023-05-26 à 21.13.51

and Relative produces Smooth keyframes.

Capture du 2023-05-26 à 21.13.34

Why?

By adding an SPR filter to track V2 to bring the Absolute text to the same position as the Relative text, here’s the result.

3 Likes

Actually, they are linear. I forget why exactly except that I saw that Kdenlive was using smooth more often than not. So, I think I chose smooth for one and linear for another to compare results just like this. :slight_smile:

Absolute is often better when you want to place something other than text directly atop something else but not changing its size. That could be a masked filter or another asset such as an image, drawing, or animation.

2 Likes

Merci pour la correction de la confusion entre Linear et Discret.
Mais je suis d’accord Absolute semble donner un meilleur résultat.

Thank you for correcting the confusion between Linear and Discrete
But I agree Absolute seems to give a better result.

1 Like

@shotcut which filter do you pair with motion tracking to accomplish locked-on stabilization?

I don’t like it when I have watched 1.5 minutes of a video, and I still do not know what it is about!
Use Size, Position & Rotate video filter with the Offset Position option when loading keyframes from the tracker. In order to prevent black areas from showing, you need to first zoom in to crop where the amount depends on the amount of motion.

1 Like

LOL. I pasted the exact timestamp

OK. Correct me if I’m wrong with my order of operations. Once I’ve finished with the Motion Tracker analysis. I loaded the SPR filter. Initially, I increased the size to 150% to avoid any black bars, but when I loaded the keyframes from Motion Tracker it overwrote the 150% zoom back to 100% but with the offset keyframes, causing the black bars to show again. So what I ended up doing was this.

• Load Motion Tracker- Analyze
  • Load SPR filter and set the size to 150% (size adjustments)
  • Load another SPR filter and Load Keyframes from Motion Tracker there (motion adjustments)

That seemed to have done the trick

1 Like

Could be added loading bar while the keyframe is applied from the tracker to the filter?
In case of 10 seconds, video could leave the user waiting for a long time, with no interface feedback…
thank you

2 Likes

I agree. When it’s thinking you have no idea if it errored out or just processing.

1 Like

Bonjour,

Qu’est-ce le filtre SPR ?
Merci

1 Like

Bonjour,

Size Position and Rotation
Taille Position et Rotation (En Français)

1 Like

Merci :ok_hand:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.