Using a transparency mask

So I want to make a video transparent using a transparency mask. Is this possible in Shotcut?
Basically, I have a video, as well as a transparency mask video.
The transparency mask video is black in the areas that the original video should be transparent and white in the areas where it should be opaque.

How should I go about making these videos into one transparent clip that I can then edit as per usual?
I can’t seem to find any documentation for how to do this in Shotcut, but I know it is possible in other video editors. Is it possible to do in Shotcut? If so, How?

Thanks,
HDSQ

You could use chroma key to key out the black. Or use track blend modes. Select track, properties then set the blend mode to add or screen.

4 Likes

Ohh, this is very interesting.:open_mouth:
SC has a lot of potential.
@Sauron you’re going to be my SC tutor. :grin:

There is some additional (mostly practical) information about these track mixing modes?
For example: in what situations is it advisable or more useful to use these modes?

For a nice description (with visuals) of how to use the more simple BLEND modes see:

https://blog.frame.io/2017/11/01/how-to-use-blend-modes/

For a mathematical treatise on blend modes see:

2 Likes

@Elusien: Thank you.
I’ll read this information soon.
I accumulate work.

Since I have no scruples, I don’t mind having several private teachers.:smile:
I add you to my list of tutors.:face_with_monocle:

Careful, you haven’t seen the tuition fees I charge yet! :mage:

Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor.
Shotcut tuition rates are free, open-minded and cross-tutored. :wink:
It doesn’t matter anyway:

Oh, this article is very interesting as initiation and with practical examples.
I really liked the usefulness of replacing the sky. :grinning:

The Wikipedia article is more technical than practical, but it explains the general concepts very well.

Thank you so much for sharing this. :+1:

I’ve already started your “tuition tab” I can just visualise those virtual bitcoins rolling in.

Like in an episode of SpongeBob square pants, I can pay you in bubble money.:smile:
bubble-money

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.