Hi, I tried shotcut already in 2014 and it was a disaster. To edit a simple video took me half a day and uncountable segmentation faults.
Now, 4 years later I’m back and I still run in the same issue: Segmentation faults.
I’m running on Linux (debian, 4.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.14.7-1~bpo9+1 (2017-12-22) x86_64 GNU/Linux). I first tried the version which is coming with the distribution. After a while I changed to the latest (zipped) version from the homepage.
But the problem still remains: Segmentation faults. I would be happy to tell you how to reproduce… but it happens … just “randomly”.
Are there other unlucky people out there experiencing the same issue?
No. Shotcut works perfectly well with Windows. There are occasional hiccups and glitches. But that happens to all software. Especially free open-source applications. Sometimes It doesn’t play well with HTML based filters and hangs. But otherwise it’s been perfectly stable.
If Shotcut’s not working for you why don’t you try Kdenlive?
I think that the most common form of crashes come when Shotcut is processing a requested action and then the user clicks on something requesting a new action before the previous has finished. This would occur more commonly if you have media that is very difficult to decode/process, or a computer that does not have high enough performance.
You might try using Shotcut with different media. For example, if you are trying to edit videos from your camera, try getting some clips from a different (brand/model) camera.
Also, try using Shotcut on a different computer and see if you experience better stability.
These are just guesses/suggestions. It is difficult to speculate on your situation without a lot more detail about your personal scenario. But hopefully it helps you to know that Shotcut is working well for other people in other situations
Thanks for the feedback brian. I can exclude that the performance of the machine is an issue as it has an i7 with 32GB RAM and a fast Samsung 850Pro as SSD.
Also it is machine independent as I had a completely different one in 2014.
One good hint to at least try to reproduce the segfaults might be to look about that actions are finished before the next.
While the “actions” I do is really just cut, remove, move, crossover, move between different tracks … that’s it.