Ubuntu 19.04 or Windows 10?

First of all, congratulations to developers for the great work with Shotcut!
I’m doing some simple but for me very important edition of VHS already imported video.
On my i5 8GB no SSD disk I have both Ubuntu 19.04 and Windows 10 installed on non virtual partitions.
The question is, for editing performance and possibilities, what of them tend to be the best OS to work with Shotcut?
Thanks in advance for attention.

To be honest, you would be the one to tell us.
Do you know how many i5’s were made?
With 8gb (I’m guessing Ram here), you’re not leaving much room for Shotcut to run.
You could always do a few test runs to see what works better for you.

1 Like

In general the performance of an application depends much more on the hardware on which the application runs rather than the operating system running on that hardware. It is usually a matter of preference as to which OS you yourself favour. As Hudson points out: run a test on each operating system and see of there is any appreciable difference in performance. I would be surprised if there were.

1 Like

Use whichever gives you the best GUI compatibility. The GUI relies on OpenGL technology, and interoperability with it depends greatly on the GPU and its driver, which varies a lot by OS. Since you mention using VHS, if you stick to a SD video mode (possibly 720) you will be fine on RAM.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.