Trying to insert color bars - no success

I have four clips of similar camera test material, and another four clips. I thought I’d drop in a bit of color bar to mark the boundary between the sets of four.

Instead of seeing the bars for about 20 seconds (there’s a reason it’s that long), I get a freeze frame of the last frame, without the HTML overlay title marking the clip.

The timeline goes clip&title, clip&title, clip&title, clip&title, clip&title, bars, clip&title, clip&title, clip&title, clip&title,
The playback goes clip&title, clip&title, clip&title, clip&title, clip&title, freeze frame, clip&title, clip&title, clip&title, clip&title,

What’s happening here?

It is a bug. I got something similar (distorted freeze frame) but only in preview. When I export, it is fine. I am not going to work on it at this time.

After rendering the timeline, the bars showed up. Weird.

RBE

If you want to see the bars in preview you can do this. Open the bars in the source viewer. Export a frame as png. Then add the png to the playlist and replace the bars that freeze frame.

Thanks - that’s a good work-around. My real concern, though, is the timeline showed one thing, but another thing showed up in the rendered video. That, IMHO, is bad manners from an editor.