Transition bug when overlapping transparent clips

Shotcut 19.07.15
Create a new project.

Create 2 transparent clips. Add text. Put the clips on timeline. Create an overlap transition. The transition fails.

Create 2 color clips. Add text. Put the clips on timeline. Create an overlap transition. The transition works.

Create an overlap transition between a transparent clip and a png with transparent background. The transition fails.

Project illustrating the issue.

Transition Bug.zip (24.9 KB)

Hi @sauron - as it happens I was working with transitions using transparent clips yesterday*. I found the same problem, but came up with the solution. For them to work you have to have them on V2 with a clip underneath on V1. Otherwise, no, they don’t work.
I’m thinking they work in a similar way to mask filters, which also require a clip on the track below.

*my new tutorial will be on applying transitions to text clips with a transparent clip to create cool text effects. Should be out soon…

… also, the clip below can be a transparent clip, as follows:

[EDIT - the screenshot is not as a demonstration for you, @sauron, you are well experienced, I uploaded it for the benefit of other less experienced users who may be reading this thread :smile: ]

Guess it’s not a bug. Just user error on my part.

Easily done, even for a seasoned pro like yourself!!:smile: Spooky how I was just experimenting with this yesterday - like you read my mind… :smile: I was baffled by it for quite a while.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.