Timeline > Scrolling

This is a sub-menu in Settings > Timeline that was added in version 23.09 with the following options:

• Center the Playhead - you can still move the playhead before the center point. But during playback, when the playhead reaches the center, it stops moving and the timeline starts scrolling in a smooth fashion.
  • No - no automatically scrolling
  • Page - when the playhead reaches the end of the timeline panel, the timeline suddenly scrolls by nearly the width of the timeline panel and stops scrolling until the playhead reaches the end again. This seems to be the most common among video editing tools - except perhaps by the page size.
  • Smooth - the traditional behavior of Shotcut: when the playhead reaches the end of the timeline panel, it remains there and the timeline starts scrolling smoothly.

Scroll to Playhead on Zoom is a checkbox separate from the above options. This controls whether Shotcut scrolls the timeline to keep the playhead within view after changing the timeline level of zoom.

Is there a keyboard shortcut yet for reverting the center playhead to “page” – Last time I used my stream deck to center playhead I could click it a second time and it would revert back to the previous setting. Is this no longer an option or can it be fixed with the next feature b.c I can never remember where to find the playhead in the settings each time I toggle it to center playhead. Thanks so much.

You need to make your own shortcut using Help > Actions and Shortcuts

1 Like