TImeline moves as I move the head

This one is purely for developers.

Some video editors are more difficult to use because timeline doesn’t want to stay put.

Filmora 9 has this problem to the extreme.
Early DaVinci had a little bit of this problem when I used it.

I like how it is done in PowerDirector, yet I like it even more in OpenShot, yet it has many other problems that made me stick to PowerDirector.

In Shotcut, it is sometimes difficult to move the head because the timeline moves as you set it.
I really hope that you do what Openshot did.

I still like Shotcut a lot more then all others.

Do you have Centre the Playhead enabled?

Of course I have it enabled.

I am not saying that Shotcut is the worst in this. Filmora is far worse.

Yet there are programs with more stable, predictable and well-behaved timelines.

This is what is causing the undesired effect you are describing. Unset that option and it should solve your problem, since keeping the playhead in the middle means that the timeline has to move instead of the playhead.

1 Like

I figured out that I have to turn it on or off under different circumstances. However, Power Director doesn’t require me to constantly turn a setting that does this on or off and somehow, the timeline is much more well behaved.

I like OpenShot timeline, yet their software has a number of other bugs that make it not very usable.

I do like Shotcut a lot. I just want to point out some things that keep me from switching to Shotcut from PowerDirector. I would wait for the version when some of the problems that I describe would be fixed before I make this transition.

It is not on by default. You do not need to turn it on and off repeatedly. That might be a sign you have not learned how to scroll or slide the window. It is typically a one time user preference. The timeline is well behaved.

I do not turn it on and of repetitively.
However there are some some operations that become more convenient with it being either on or off.

The timeline is well behaved.

If you so insist.