Timeline marker or anything similar

Howdy folks. This may be a little bit help but if this or a similar option isn’t available, I’d like to suggest it. I’m hoping this feature/tool is already here and I just don’t know it… I’m editing on my Timeline and I would like to be able to mark or set a pointer to locations to come back to review later - fine tune perhaps, and make annotations to those locations.

A suggestion would be to have a tool box with these pointers and notes similar to, or perhaps an add-on to, properties. I think this would be a plus, but for now, is there anything I can do to ‘tag’ spots to revisit?

1 Like

“V.18” does not mean anything as it is not a real version number. I removed it from the subject.
Markers are already on the Road Map. No idea when it will be done.

You could always to a video track of just text filters indicating your ideas. Each track can be hidden by clicking the eyeball, or just deleting the track when you’re ready to export. I know it’s not what you’re looking for, but it’s best option for right now.

3 Likes

Thank you? Please pardon my inexperience, but if 18 is not a real version number, what is it? I included that simply as a reference point.

Thanks! I always enjoy hearing about workarounds.

The current version is 18.08.01, which is the full version number, rather than a subset of it.

Perhaps you meant “v18.08” but the version is not really important since the feature does not exist yet. :slight_smile:
While not a visual aid, you can add a comment to each clip (except images and generators) in the Properties panel.

3 Likes

This is so cool, never knew it was there.

General query… Isn’t the 3rd number in the trio used primarily for patches/fixes/security, 2nd for feature set updates, and the 1st major revisions?

I just noticed your tip as well. Thanks. I’ll make use of it!

I believe…
Year.Month.Revision (with the previous revision deleted)

You can read about all of the versions here, and see how much they have changed.
https://shotcut.org/blog/

1 Like

Normally I’d agree with @Hudson555x, however based on recent releases it appears the version is like so:
Year.Month.Day of release being built.
This may or may not be the same as the release date.

Perhaps @shotcut or @brian can clarify?

2 Likes

It is year, month, and day because it is based on our daily builds bundling various components.

1 Like

Yeah that can be handy but a little bug I found is that Shotcut doesn’t recognize any comments written in the Property’s Comment space as a change made in the workflow so the asterisk that should appear in the upper left of the Shotcut window doesn’t show up. You think that can be fixed?

1 Like

OK, I just fixed it for next version 18.09.

1 Like

My 2 cents about the potential/future markers features :
if markers could be set at

• timeline
    *clip (audio & video)
    level, it would be great as one could :
  • timeline level : mark the beat of the soundtrack for later sync with video clips
  • clip level : mark interesting cues, both for video & sound

Thanks