Theoretical question - multiple cameras

I will be discussing next week the video recording of a music group.
If we set up several cameras with different angles to record a song, what is a good way to mix the multiple tracks?
e.g. As the song progresses “switching between the cameras”. (and maybe a bit of picture in picture)
Audio track will come from the mixing desk.

So having got the audio and the different camera recording on their own tracks and lined up, how would you select which track to show at a point in time?
Can this be done in a non destructive way, so it can easily be re-edited?

My initial thoughts:

1. Add an empty top track then cut / copy sections of the tracks below to the top track.
    Or
  2. Remove sections of the tracks above the one you want to show?
    Or
  3. cut ][ either end of sections of all tracks on the timeline, then apply filters or masks to the different track sections to make transparent (or change size & position).

Has anyone used a multi camera set up and can advise.
This is a theoretical question, so no rush.

Thank you

Here you go…

Thanks - I thought that could be a way to do it.

It could get complicated with 5 cameras!

Perhaps have an “invisible” track for each camera track.
Then invert it - move or copy clips from the invisible tracks to the visible.

e.g.

Yes, that works well. A similar question was asked recently, and here are the responses and tricks that came up in that thread:

The only reason I have invisible tracks is because I wanted the option to bring back clips, just in case I changed my mind. With 5 cameras I would do the reverse and only have the MAIN track as visible while you have 5 source tracks as invisible. Whichever clip you want seen, drag into the visible track (MAIN).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.