Text / preset effects - loss of effects

If I’ve added text and a preset effect, lets say Slide in from the Right…then I decide I want to see what other fonts look like - when I change the font, I lose the effect and have to start all over again.

Sure…we can say choose the font first, but you often need to see what it looks like before you can decide which one to use with any effect.

Can this be separated so changing the effect does NOT reset the font?

Thanks

Derbydog

Are you talking about the Text:Simple filter?
Not sure how to duplicate the issue you’re having.
2020-08-01_15-49-55

when I change the font, I lose the effect and have to start all over again

That does not reproduce as @Hudson555x shows.

Can this be separated so changing the effect does NOT reset the font?

However, currently presets store all parameters such that choosing one overrides anything you have done. This could be changed fairly easily for the stock presets that only describe certain things like motion animation. The add custom preset UI could be changed to show a list of checkboxes of which parameters should be saved with the preset. These are not trivial changes but also not very big. It is a good suggestion, and I hope we can do it by the end of the year but not promising.

In the meantime, user-defined presets can be modified as they are text files if you can figure out which internal name maps to the parameter name that appears in the UI. The same cannot be done for stock presets.

That would be awesome! I just tried it again, added a simple text, the default is Veranda - I changed it to Ariel, then selected a preset move “slide in from left” and then the font defaults back to Veranda. This is the same for all of the presets and does it every time.

I’m using windows 10 and shotcut version 20.07.11

Thanks Derbydog

1 Like

This is something different from your original post.
This is true, the font does reset back to Verdana and and ignores font size (if chosen)

Workaround: Click on the font, then cancel. It reverts back to the chosen font, and will not display the actual font name used.

2020-08-01_16-38-43

Cool…I can work with that. Sorry if my original post wasn’t specific enough. I’d still recommend changing that, so the workaround isn’t necessary.

Thanks for the tip!
Derbydog

Hey…how are you recording whats on your desktop - Might need to do that sometime to illustrate a problem…
Thanks

I, and several others on the forum, use Sharex (https://getsharex.com/), it is only available on Windows though, not Linux or Macs.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.