Text:html export

Hi,

I am looking into shotcut and followed this video:

I put a movie clip on the timeline split it in three sections and added the Text:html filter with the htm file from the video to the third section.

Then I duplicated the html file, changed the js and html and added it to the second section.

All good inside Shotcut, the text-html js and css in the amended htm file works well although it must be reloaded first every time before hitting the play button. Is that normal behaviour?

Anyway, the main problem is that after doing the final export, my amended htm file is not visible in the final video on the second section in the video. The original html from the youtube tutorial is visible on the third section.

The css and js being used is a png file as the background on a div element, some text inside another div and jquery to fade in these div elements.

Are there limitations to this or any other ideas what goes wrong here?

Thanks,
Raoul

I have found some strange effects in the past if you do not have the play-head at the beginning of the clip you have selected when you add the Text:HTML filter.

You should also look in the Shotcut log (menu: View->logfile) to see if any errors are reported.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

I see I can right click the export Job > View Log

There is a lot, I am not sure what to look for, at the bottom it says “Completed successfully in 00:00:16”

View > only shows “Application Log” with a lot of [info] and [debug] data, no clear errors

I removed the text:html filter, set the play-head exactly at the start and added the text:html filter again. No luck…

If you could copy your HTML, CSS and Javascript to a ZIP file and upload it here I could try it out for you and see if it works for me or if not try a little debugging.

Any HTML that does animation MUST require the WebVfx JavaScript extension (see checkbox) to seek and to export with proper timing. Shotcut now includes a scrolling HTML template that does support seeking called Simple Scroll. Moreover, it lets you edit the text using the visual HTML editor and not only by source.

1 Like

Thank you for your offer to look at it!

As you can see it is just experimental. A div with a background image that fades in and in side that div another div that fades in.

As mentioned it is based on the tutorial my first post which includes links to the original htm file

text.zip (1.1 KB)

I am following that tutorial. It recommends to not check the WebVfx JavaScript extension checkbox and instead download the js script in the description.

I see the video is more the a year old. perhaps there is a better way to do this now?

Or, I actually removed some javascript because it seemed related to the scrolling animation which I do not need. I thought perhaps that part is missing, but I just added it and although the divs are now also scrolling, they are still not part of the final export.

You cannot do animation this way in Shotcut. There is no synchronisation between the animation that jQuery does with the video frames that Shotcut manipulates. You have to use Shotcut’s webvfs javascript environment, either directly yourself, which is quite difficult for a novice, or via a framework like the one I put together some time ago. Besides using jQuery to animate “bg” you are also trying to animate it in the CSS, which also will not work.

The original code you got from the tutorial used my framework and hence works correctly. However you need to supply various parameters on the DIVs in your code to get them to work in the way you want them to.

Have a look at the information on the following webpage for how to do animation in Shotcut using my framework. There is a simple example there doing (almost) what you want. It changes a DIV’s opacity from 0 to 1, which has the effect of making it appear. Also, as Dan says, you will have to check the webvfx option on the Text:HTML filter when you use it. See:

http://www.elusien.co.uk/shotcut/webvfx/index.php

1 Like

Given the original example, that makes sense, I guess the confusing bit was that my jquery approach did work in the editor.

I got it working with your example. Many thanks for your help, much appreciated!

I am putting together a way of converting CSS3 animations to become Shotcut animations. Then (almost) any animations you can do with only CSS could be done in Shotcut.

I had hoped to have it available by now, but my work on @jonray’s transition filter highlighted a couple of problems with my method and I need some time to rework it.

1 Like

I do not need so much video editing capabilities more text effects. javascript css support was one of the reasons why shotcut was the first video editing tool I tried. One thing less to get familiar with :slight_smile:

I’ll shortly be looking for members to try my new CSS3 Animations to Shtotcut Animation facility. I’d be interested to have comments suggestions for improvement.

How does that work? Do you post here or can I sign up somewhere?

I’ll post and send you personally a link to the post.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.