Text filter is removing spaces when exported

This is a follow-on to my previous message “Export is not same as preview render”. Shotcut plays video tracks with various filters exactly as I would expect. But when I export the project and play back the exported version of the video track(s) with VLC, it’s really just the original input video all over again–NO compositing or filtering whatsoever! What in the world am I missing? Is there something I’m supposed to do just before exporting? I am stumped–please help!

Harvey

Pay attention to the From field at the top of the Export panel. It typically defaults to Timeline if you have a timeline defined; however, it could be something different.

It seems no one knows how to reproduce the problem you are having. Maybe you should show a screenshot and upload the project file.

Windows 10 - Shotcut 18.09.15

Here are the two examples I’m having export problems with:

(A) W9-a.zip (241.2 KB)

W9-a-textbox.mlt (4.0 KB)

W9-a-textbox.zip (248.3 KB)

(B) Q7-b-b.zip (369.8 KB)

Q7-b-b-textbox.mlt (6.0 KB)

Q7-b-b-textbox.zip (362.3 KB)

The intent of Example A was to mask the system tray at the bottom of the screen, and the intent of Example B was to mask an unexpected privacy issue when two Skype notifications popped up on the screen.

As you can see, the MLT versions operate correctly when played within Shotcut. However, the EXPORTED (“textbox.mp4”) versions do NOT contain any of the changes made by Shotcut. For all practical purposes, the exported videos were identical to the imported videos (without any changes). I kept audio on Example A just to demonstrate that audio was not affected (it had a slight glitch in the original, NOT due to Shotcut), but I muted audio on Example B, because I did several cutouts to shorten the example, which would have resulted in nonsensical audio.

I hope this evidence is sufficient to demonstrate the issue so that someone can share with me how to get correct exported videos.

Harvey

W9-a is a bug when using all space characters. If you use the letter “M” repeatedly you will see it does work. The solution for now is take a different approach to the problem. Add a video track, place a black color clip on it (File > Open Other > Color > pick black) with the Size and Position filter:

I agree though that it is a bug and will look into it. I hope these replies helped you. Remember, details in bug reports help immensely. Your other thread mentioned “using multiple rows of spaces”, but someone replied with this different approach. I thought you had possibly tried the different approach and faced some issue of any and all filters and compositing not working.

I’m a neophyte with Shotcut (2 weeks with an emergency need to do the stuff I asked about). I used this approach (using spaces) because it was “taught” in one of the extremely few tutorial videos available online that go step-by-step (and which was exactly what I was trying to do) rather than assuming the viewer has been using Shotcut for a goodly amount of time. I will try the posted approaches and see if they work for me.

Harvey

Do I understand you correctly that using black m’s on a black background ought to work?

Harvey

Yes! Also, a less painful workaround.

This has been fixed for the next release v18.10. I am glad we found it!

I want to thank you and the others who have responded! You all have been so helpful! Lest anyone misinterpret my attitude, I simply LOVE Shotcut!!! It certainly beats working with multiple tape recorders as I had to do in the 1980s when I learned from the local cable TV staff. Things obviously have come long way since then!

By the way, when I first started with Shotcut, it was with the previous version (I think something like 18.08.15) and with older video tutorials. I could have sworn that they had an icon at the left of each video track for compositing, but that seems to have disappeared. If that’s the case, I’m merely curious of the reasoning involved and how compositing has been replaced–or is it just automatically assumed to occur with multiple tracks? Thanks!

Harvey

1 Like

If you click a track head to select it and then view Properties, you are now viewing Properties for the track. It has had a Blend mode property for a while now. I simply moved the composite toggle to there (None) since it is not used frequently and beginners can easily turn it off - not really understanding what it does - get confused when things stop compositing, and report a problem.

Thanks! I appreciate always learning something new–and there’s certainly a lot of “new” to learn about using Shotcut effectively! It can do SO MUCH!! Congrats to you and any other developers who have created such an outstanding piece of software to let people be creative to their heart’s content!

Harvey

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.