Sync: Move audio instead of video

I have my video in the timeline.
I have several sections (gotten through pressing “s”-key).
In each section I have different video-filters.
I have my audio not separated.

With the move function in property->audio sync we can move the video, so that it is synced with the audio.

What bothers me:
When I use this function in a section A, the video shifts and the cut I made with the “s” key no longer fits. For example, in the section B I then suddenly have the last few frames from the section A after, but the filter that is then applied to it, comes from the section B.

Suggestion: The Sync function should not move the video, but the audio.

No feedback?

I am trying to visualize this from last 4 days but I can’t get what you want to say, Can you explain this a bit more.

There is no feedback because most people edit the other way around. Sync audio first, then make splits.

Whether audio or video was shifted, somebody would complain that the splits go out of alignment. You noticed video today. Somebody else would notice audio tomorrow. That’s why alignment is best done before splits. The whole problem goes away.

1 Like

Thank Austin you for your statement.

I understand, that you say, that …
A) some people split the video by paying attention to where the visual scene changes. In this case unfortunately the video goes out of alignment when syncing.
B) but some other people split the video by paying attention to where the scene changes acoustically. In this case people want that the video goes out of alignment, because they want to align the sound. People who take this method, are happy with the way Shotcut behaves at the moment.

The way Shotcut works at the moment, people from B) are happy, but those from A) are not. And you say, that when the behaviour of Shutcut would be changed, then people from A) would be happy, but people from B) not.

BUT: I can not imagine one scenario/example for B) . I guess all people that edit videos need A) . Or can you give me an example in which case someone would need B) ?

Very interested in your answer. Thank you.

(And yes, of course: It’s better to first separate the audio track and edit it first, before splitting.)

I have created over a hundred videos for my YouTube channel YouTube channel “KennethAGrimm” using the “B” workflow.

Example: https://youtu.be/nMSkf_spHSs

I had originally used workflow “A”; after several disasters when many hours of work were discarded in a start-over because of audio/video sync, I changed my workflow from “A” to “B”.

People that make “talking head” or interview videos usually time their B-roll clips and photos to align with the speech. Speech drives the show rather than the video. So, slipping B-roll or static photos around by a few frames is usually inconsequential. But moving the audio would severely mess up the interview.

1 Like

Here’s a better way to describe the distinction…

If somebody is making a documentary from scratch, then the interview and narrator audio drives the timing of the video.

But if somebody is cutting out clips from pre-existing footage to make a montage, then their cuts will probably be made when the video scene changes.

So the arguments for slipping audio or video can vary by whether you are an original author (where audio sync is king) or a downstream mash-up curator (where video sync is king because the audio was already synced for you by the original author).

1 Like

Thank you. Very interesting.

Of course: As a suggestion it would still be possible to add a switcher. So that the user could switch between “moving video” or “moving audio” when syncing. This way an “original author” and “a downstream mash-up curator” could be satisfied.