Suggestion for Timeline snapping

Hey team,
I was putting my first clip together last night and compiling a timeline, and I added all of my clips into the timeline first.
Then I dragged them across to create a transition. I was dragging the second video over the first, third over the second, etc. (grabbing the right clip and moving it left).

What I found was that each time I did this it adjusted the length of the timeline, because I am overlapping clips. This is fine and easily accommodated. But it did not adjust every clip. It only moved the clip I dragged, and created a gap between the clip I manipulated and the one following it.

So my suggestion would be to force clips that are snapped together, to stay together unless specifically manipulated. Even if this was a toggled option on the timeline.

1 Like

This would be very useful, though I think your title could be more descriptive, and I think the area of interest would not be with snapped clips, but rather with regard to ripple editing.

Essentially, ripple editing should affect all elements of the timeline that follow the edit. Right now ripple editing seems to apply only to Trimming a video clip (i.e. making it shorter/longer by editing its length, rather than any and all operations that would affect the end point of the clip on the timeline - including, but not limited to, dragging a clip (whether that results in a transition or not).

Similarly, if the above were to be implemented, it would be good to have an option to have the ripple propagate across all tracks. If two clips are composited together further down the timeline, right now you best hope you Sliced where the two clips begin their overlap, because that makes re-positioning the clip thatā€™s on the unaffected track a lot easierā€¦ but if ripples propagated, that would be a non-issue entirely.

I gave your post a ā€˜likeā€™, but it might have to be re-filed?

The Timeline menu already has a ā€œRipple All Tracksā€ option that would apply when this is implemented (ripple on drag).

Nope, basically, I do not give feature requests much detailed attention. I work on what I feel like and factor in peopleā€™s feedback in general. So much to do.

@SteeveB
This would be very useful, though I think your title could be more descriptive, and I think the area of interest would not be with snapped clips, but rather with regard to ripple editing.

Thanks for the reply - I was pretty much as new to editing as they come back then, and Iā€™m not much better now having only a basic/rudimentary understanding. I just adapted how I built my timeline to overcome my limitations.

@shotcut
Nope, basically, I do not give feature requests much detailed attention. I work on what I feel like and factor in peopleā€™s feedback in general. So much to do.

:joy: Better you than me! Canā€™t complain about a free program, appreciate the time youā€™ve spent on it!

Ahh, perfect :slight_smile:

re: where you spend your time - I absolutely respect that, thank you again!

1 Like