Stinger Transition #1 (made with Glaxnimate)

Stinger Transition #1

A stinger transition (also called stream transition) is an animation that you insert above the intersection of two clips. At one point, the content of the animation covers the entire screen, hiding the abrupt transition between the two clips.

I saw the one I’m sharing today in a YouTube video and I reproduced it as best as I could with Glaxnimate.
Stinger01.zip (9.6 KB)

The ZIP contains 2 files:

• stinger01_30fps.rawr
    That one was made for 30fps projects, but can be used in projects with frame rates of 23.98fps, 24fps, 25fps and 29.97fps. The speed of the animation will be slightly slower when used in 23.98fps, 24fps, and 25fps projects.

• stinger01_60fps.rawr
    That one was made for 60fps projects, but can be used in projects with frame rates of 50fps and 59.94fps. The speed of the animation will be slightly slower when used in 50fps projects.

How to use:

• Insert the .rawr file on the track above your two clips
  • Align the middle of the .rawr clip with the intersection of the two clips that are on the track below.

How to edit the colors

The stinger transition is made with 4 elements in Glaxnimate. Two dark grey stripes (left and right) and two grey panels. If you don’t like those neutral colors, you can change them.

• In Shotcut, select the rawr clip.
  • Go to the Properties panel and click on the Edit button.
  • In Glaxnimate, go to the Layers panel.
  • Deploy each element and find its Fill layer.
  • Go to the Fill panel and edit the color.

Example: Editing the color of the left stripe:

• Deploy Left Stripe Layer
  • Deploy Left Stripe
  • Deploy Path 11
  • Select Fill 6
  • Go to the Fill panel and edit the color.

Don’t forget the save the changes.
If you don’t want to overwrite the grey animation, save under a different name (for example: stinger01_blue_red_30fps.rawr). Then, in Shotcut, use the new rawr file instead of the original one.

All the Fill layers you need to edit:

6 Likes

That’s awesome. I appreciate the effort and attention to detail in that.

I just spent a year at a College learning VFX in Adobe After-Effects but before that I was always a Software Developer. My VFX Teacher at the College was saying how much he had spent on buying Filters like that for After-Effects and how much he had made from selling completed Client work using them.

I’d definitely pay a nominal amount for something done as well as that if that is what I needed at the time.

I’ll probably save this and keep it for later. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Thank you David. Much appreciated.
So… should I expect a check? Or you prefer Paypal? :innocent:

1 Like

lol. One day, you never know.

1 Like

Amazing! Brilliant resource, @musicalbox - and as usual you give precise and impeccably presented instructions. Thank you! Brilliant that you did it in Glaxnimate. We will need a full tutorial on how you did it… :rofl: :wink:

Thanks to you too @jonray :slight_smile:

A tutorial? That would be difficult at the moment. But I’ll add this to my to-do list :slight_smile:

list

1 Like

LOL, it’s the same length as mine… :smile:

Don’t forget, folks, that my collection of free whoosh sounds is still available from my Google Drive. Perfect for accompanying the stinger transition.
I made this with it - @musicalbox, I’m assuming it was OK with you to use a screen capture of your original clip … :wink:

Because the transitions are long, I used two audio whooshes for each transition. One for IN, the other for OUT. Here’s my timeline:

Here’s my free Whoosh collection:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1a4be0aEZgM_vRTgRzq0SFxgNvZR0dke9?usp=sharing

2 Likes

Good idea to add those whooshes. :+1:
Why didn’t I think of doing that? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes