Star wars light sword effect - how?

Hi,

Is that possible to make in shotcut effect similar to star wars light swords? It doesn’t have to be exactly the same but sth similar. How would you do that?

Thanks a lot for help.

Hi @ken-wawa

In my opinion, it would not be impossible to do with just Shotcut. But it would be very tedious.
One way I can see would be to use the Corner Pin, Blur: box, and Unpremultiply filters on a color clip, and edit the shape of the clip at each frame of the video. And it would not be a very accurate copy of the original effect.

Here, I’ve done 10 frames (1/3 of a second) in about 20 minutes. I did it quickly without being too precise with the position of the pins.
So it’s not as bad as I thought, but lots of works nonetheless.

3 Likes

Great work​:ok_hand::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks a lot. That shows the direction. What I’m missing here is that special light character which seems to live… In particular is that possible some kind of light blinking with random frequency?

1 Like

Like I said above, if you decide to do this with Shotcut, you’ll be working frame by frame. If you want the lightsaber to blink, flicker or change color, it’s up to you.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.