SSD vs HDD vs RAM

When I have filled an edit with many layers and filters, it can start to become a lot less responsove when dragging things on the timeline.

I have 16gb of DDR4 RAM. Would it benefit me to upgrade to 32?

It might be worth noting that i have a pretty small SSD c drive, which Shotcut is stored on. My edits and the video clips, music etc are all on my HDD D: drive. Could this be the issue. Grateful for any advice. TIA

Yes. Moving your files to an SSD or NVMe will have the largest impact. Also, make sure the SDD is installed internally - not an external USB drive.

I have 32 gigabytes of RAM on my laptop, of which I allocated 16 gigabytes for Ramdisc. I set up a directory for the proxy on ramdisk and my shotcut works very fast, I don’t experience any inconvenience due to the speed of work.

I’d echo Brian’s comment: just about any internal SSD (even a cheap one with a SATA connection) will easily beat the performance of a hard drive.

As far as memory is concerned, whether you will see significant benefit from adding more depends on whether you’re running out. How to monitor system RAM usage is a general Windows topic rather than a Shotcut topic, and I’m sure there are tons of tutorials on how to do this. Quick version: use Task Manager and/or Resource Monitor (both built into Windows) and/or your choice of other performance monitoring program to see how much memory you’re using while doing the thing that’s slow.

If your memory utilization isn’t getting up too high, then adding RAM probably won’t make a big difference. More RAM is pretty much always better, but if you already have enough, the benefits of adding more will be small.

If you are getting low on RAM, another thing to consider is whether you’re running a bunch of other programs in the background. If in addition to Shotcut you have an email client and a Web browser with a dozen tabs open and a number of other programs that you aren’t actively using while working on your video, that could easily eat up several gigs of RAM, so closing anything you’re not actively using is like a free memory upgrade.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I wasnt running low on RAM, so i cancelled it. Instead, ive had a go at using proxy clips instead, stored on the SSD.

RAM: 32 GB
SSD for OS & Apps
HDD for files

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.