Sport video scoreboard

Hi

Im using shotcut since 1 year to creat sportsvideos from my club.
Example: https://youtu.be/ZNIPNMLxrGQ

Actually im inserting text to show the score but this is a lot of work.

Is there a better way to inserting a scorebord like NBA, Soccer or smilar?

Thank you for your help.
Korbball

The NBA use dedicated character generator (CGen) units to generate the graphics and the scoring that pretty much automates the process with minimal operator input.
One example below, sports related from about 00:50 in the video:

Unless someone like @Elusien can come up with a clever html/css/js method, can’t think of any other way to do it in SC.

EDIT:

You could also make a “template” graphic for the background with the club logos and names then just update the score on a different track.
So video on V1, background on V2 and score on V3.
You can even make the background fancier with drop shadow, colour wash and so on.

2 Likes

I would use an Overlay HTML filter. Here is a very simple one that you can tailor to your requirements:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
	<meta charset="utf-8" />
	<title>Baseball Scores</title>
	<style>
	table {width: 25%; margin: auto; display: flex; justify-content: center;}
	td    {opacity:0.8; border: 0; font-family: 'Arial Black',sans-serif; font-size: 2.5em;}
	.home {background-color: blue; color: white; text-align: center; padding: 0.5em;}
	.away {background-color: red ; color: white; text-align: center; padding: 0.5em;}
	</style>
</head>
<body>
	<table>
		<tr><td class='home'>Eggethof <br> 8 </td><td class='away'>Roggwill <br> 3</td><tr>
	</table>
</body>
</html>

It looks like this:

You can add fancy graphics as well such as the team logo etc.

1 Like

Hi Guys

Thank you both very much. I like your approach with the 3 tracks.
I didnt know yo can have a background for the whole track. And i dont have experiences with HTML.
Could you please send me your example? It looks great :slight_smile: you already searched for the right logos.

Thank you very much.

OK here is the project.
(Note it’s 1920X1080 at 25fps).
ClubsProject.mlt (14.3 KB)

You will see that I have created two tracks, V1 and V2.
V1 is for your video, it can be one long clip already edited or clips which you edit to create the final video.

On V2 is the graphic overlay, without the scores.
It’s a png with alpha, attached below (real zip file).
You can make this in SC as well but I find it easier to do it in Gimp.
Can also use Photoshop or any other graphics package that you know as long as it can export a png with an alpha channel.
Clubs.png.zip (121.9 KB)

Now you drag that overlay onto V2 for the duration of the whole video.
Apply a filter to rotate and scale to get it where you want.
Now create a second filter, (Text, NOT 3D Text) also on V2.
Now cut V2 when ever you need to update the score.
Go to that section and simply update the score in the text filter.
Done.

23%20PM

You will see that in my example, I just cut it at roughly 2 sec intervals just to show you how easy it is to update the scores.

BTW, when you open the project on your side, SC will complain about not finding files, point it to the unzipped png I included and obviously your video as well.

Hope it helps.

Great work, @paul2.

I thought it would be a nice little project for me to try to design an animated scoreboard using the Overlay HTML filter and @Elusien’s WebVfx framework. Mine uses slightly different code to Elusien’s in his post above, using divs instead of table cells, and features animated coloured boxes that slide in, and out, after 6 seconds. I have created 3 scoreboards - each very similar, but getting a little more complex. I made a short video demo showing how mine look:

https://streamable.com/2juxb

I am happy to post the HTML code of all 3 animations if anyone would like to use them. Just ask and I will zip and post the files I created.

@korbball - no experience of HTML would be needed if you’d like to use my HTML files as templates. It’s really easy to add these animations to sections of your footage. I you are unsure, you can always ask for help on this forum.

7 Likes

Wow,Paul2 Elusien jonray, your support is awsome, great work!

It would be nice to have a very easy solution which takes not much time to change from video to video.
@jonray, your animations are pretty cool, i like no.3

Would be great to display:

1. Time (2x 20min)
  2. Team 1
  3. Team 2
  4. Score - double digits are possibe e.g. 10:12
  5. Team colors would be nice - text color change has to be easy too
  6. Optional Teamlogo from local folder

It can be displayed permanent like the one from @Paul2 or Elusien
grafik

I really like the big letters for score and font too :slight_smile:
In my opinion it would be best to have all as a filter an no need for a background image.

Thank you guys.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.