Splitting multiple audio track causing preview and playback freezing

This is my initial experience with the audio splitting feature and adjusting track settings. I’ve run into a problem after dividing a 4-hour MKV video into multiple audio tracks. The preview and playback begin to freeze entirely, a situation that typically arises during editing and seems to occur each time I attempt to modify the audio tracks. I find myself waiting approximately 5-10 minutes for the playback to resume. I’ve observed that whenever the system freezes, the active time of my Samsung PSSD T7 external hard drive spikes to 95% with an average read speed of 300MB/s, returning to 0% once the freezing stops. I’m curious if there are any alternative solutions to this issue, other than switching to a different drive.

I assume you mean MKV instead of MPK. My suggestion is to configure your game capture software to encode something in manner that is more editable. That means constant framerate and a keyframe interval (GOP) no longer than 2 seconds.

where can I find that with obs?

Keyframe interval is the 3rd line in your screenshot. I also livestream and use OBS a ton. That software is amazing. Recording in mkv is definitely a good way to go to avoid corrupt files if OBS crashes before finalizing the stream or ending your recording. I use constant bitrate though, not cqp as in your screenshot. I have found that 10 mbps at 1080p is good enough for my needs recording locally. I only record livestreams locally on rare occasions though, since it’s easier to just stream to platforms that automatically, permanently save replays (aka vods) such as YouTube, Odysee and Rumble. I used to record all my streams locally in the beginning, but man that fills a hard drive fast! And all the editing is a nightmare. But if you want to do edits on your streams for cool shorts or highlight postings it makes sense to record locally of course. If you want top quality you can go higher than 10 mbps, but for me it’s good enough and saves on storage space. If you are playing modern, fast moving, high detail FPS games, you might want a higher bitrate since every frame changes all the pixels rapidly, and low bitrates can look choppy. If playing retro games, there are lots of repeating and simple colors in graphics, so they look fine with a lower bitrate.

You probably already know most of this. I never record multiple audio tracks when streaming, so I can’t say much about that. I know some people do that to isolate particular audio sources in editing phase or to get around Twitch’s copyright TOS. I keep my situation pretty simple and avoid all that. Sorry I can’t help with that particular thing.

That freezing scenario sounds very infuriating!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.