(SOLVED: SORT OF) Shotcut not working on Ubuntu 18.04 via SNAPS

The SNAP install of Shotcut 18.05 does not start when I launch via Software or on icon. Version 18.01 still works fine.

Linux Novel 4.15.0-20-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 24 06:16:15 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=bionic
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION=“Ubuntu 18.04 LTS”

Are you using stable channel or one of candidate, edge, or beta? stable has v18.03 while the others v18.05. In any case, the snap is not entirely self-contained as you may be expecting. It is really just a different format and delivery system as the portable zip file. In any case, see this page on the web site that lists some known dependencies not typically included in a fresh install of the OS. The one that seems to bite most people is libxkbcommon-x11-0.

Thanks for the heads up. Alas it is 18.03 that I installed rather than 18.05 (not sure how that happened). Anyway, as far as the core libraries go, I’m running libsox3 rather than libsox2, libjack-jackd2-0 rather than libjack0.

I suspect the problem is the Shotcut.desktop because I created a script with the following:

Blockquote
sh -c /snap/shotcut/21/Shotcut.app/shotcut

I
And the program fired up just fine.

Hmm.

1 Like

shotcut_debug_messages.txt (19.1 KB)

My debug messages for shotcut version 18.05

How did you locate Shotcut.desktop? The one used by launchers is supposed to run /snap/shotcut/current/meta/gui/shotcut.deskop whose Exec should say simply “shotcut %F” because with snap “shotcut” is in $PATH. Sounds like you are navigating to the snap folder in a file manager and launching /snap/shotcut/current/Shotcut.desktop, but that often does not work because it is untrusted launcher or the file manager you are using does not like the relative Exec line.

i have exactly the same issue. runs fine with sh -c /snap/shotcut/21/Shotcut.app/shotcut but not from applications. i am on ubuntu 18.04 standard package

What about simply shotcut in Terminal? (/snap/bin should be in your PATH). That is theoretically what the icon in Show Applications is doing.

If you type shotcut in the terminal, it looks like the application fails during bootup because it can’t access OpenGL properly (I’m running an AMD card, not nVidia).

I also got it to work by executing /snap/shotcut/27/Shotcut.app/shotcut directly running Ubuntu 18.04 with shotcut v 18.07.02.

which shotcut returns /usr/bin/snap

Here are my terminal outputs shotcut-cmd-failure.txt (8.3 KB)
shotcut-success-output.txt (22.9 KB)

Let me know if I can get you any more info.

with shotcut in terminal i get

cp: '/home/matthew/.config/user-dirs.locale' and '/home/matthew/.config/user-dirs.locale' are the same file
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/matthew/snap/shotcut/27/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini': File exists

(process:17276): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:33:33.212: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Gtk-Message: 12:33:33.213: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
Gtk-Message: 12:33:33.218: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
No appenders registered with logger
[Debug  ] <ShotcutSettings::singleton> language "en_GB" 
[Debug  ] <ShotcutSettings::singleton> deinterlacer "onefield" 
[Debug  ] <ShotcutSettings::singleton> external monitor "" 
[Debug  ] <ShotcutSettings::singleton> GPU processing false 
[Debug  ] <ShotcutSettings::singleton> interpolation "nearest" 
[Debug  ] <ShotcutSettings::singleton> video mode "" 
[Debug  ] <ShotcutSettings::singleton> realtime true 
[Info   ] <Application::Application> Starting Shotcut version 18.07.02 
[Info   ] <Application::Application> Linux version 
[Info   ] <Application::Application> number of logical cores = 8 
[Info   ] <Application::Application> locale = QLocale(English, Latin, UnitedKingdom) 
[Info   ] <Application::Application> install dir = "/snap/shotcut/27/Shotcut.app/bin" 
[Info   ] <Application::Application> device pixel ratio = 1 
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
[Warning] <> Could not initialize OpenGL for RasterGLSurface, reverting to RasterSurface.
[Debug  ] <MainWindow::changeTheme> begin 
[Debug  ] <MainWindow::changeTheme> end 
[Debug  ] <MainWindow::MainWindow> begin 
[Fatal  ] <> Could not initialize OpenGL
Aborted

I just updated the snap for v18.08.11 today, but I see you are on v18.07. With this new version, the execution approach has changed, and there is no more environment variable mangling by a snap desktop-launcher startup script. Please give it a try.

Thanks, now works like a charm!