Snap to playhead when stretching or shrinking clip

I do a ton of micro edits (stretching or shrinking captions, images and video clips to sync with updated versions of soundtracks). When I want to move a clip I have the snap-to to help me.

I would love to have something similar when stretching or shrinking. My suggestion is that, when the clip is selected I can press ctrl + left or right arrow (or something similar) and have the start or end of the clip stretch or shrink to the playhead. Obviously would not be activated for the start of the clip if the masthead was after the end of the clip (or for the end of the clip if the masthead was before the start).

Tbh, it would also help to be able to move the clip to start or finish at the playhead as well, but the need is not as urgent as for stretching/shrinking.

I suppose that by masthead, you mean Playhead?

In other words, what you propose is:

• Select a clip
  • Position the Playhead somewhere past the left side or to the right side of the clip.
  • Using a keyboard shortcut would automatically extend the clip to the playhead position.

Ctrl+Left and Ctrl+Right are already taken for Select Previous Clip and Select Next Clip,
but I believe that Ctrl+Alt+Left and Ctrl+Alt+Right are available.

mpc-hc64_0APXTep0aO

I like this suggestion. I think such a feature would help speed up editing on many occasions.

1 Like

Yes, I meant playhead. I have corrected the post.

Your gif is exactly what I intended.

Also, if the playhead is positioned within the clip then the keyboard shortcut would automatically shrink the clip to the playhead position.

Is there a list of Shotcut keyboard shortcuts somewhere?

The i and o keys will do that.

• Select a clip
  • Position the Playhead inside the clip
  • Pressing i will delete the part of the clip that’s on the left side of the Playhead.
  • Pressing o will delete the part of the clip that’s on the right side of the Playhead.

Also, in Shotcut: Help > Actions and Shortcuts… or press the “?” key.

1 Like

Excellent.

Actually it shrinks rather than deletes, which is better because it preserves the fadein/fadeout filters.

Thanks - bookmarked!