Slideshow panning/zooming effects

I apologize! I have a TREMENDOUS learning curve to overcome and not having a document to read doesn’t make it easy to understand the technical side of these processes! Believe it or not, I was using the Movie Maker in XP (very happily!) and the files wouldn’t transfer to Windows 7. The “Essentials” version is nothing like the old version, pissed-me-off, so I’m exploring other options… which lead me here. I presumed this was a more sophisticated program and figured it would allow you to do what Movie Maker can do and much more. So, when the “Basic” function of Zooming Still Images is not available, it has left me scratching my head! Why?!

Movie Maker is not an NLE, Shotcut is. Therefore Shotcut is a somewhat different kettle of fish :slight_smile:
If you’ve only used Movie Maker then you are not really yet in a position to assume what is ‘basic’?
Movie Maker is a ‘wizard based’ video creator and slideshow creator , Shotcut is not.

However, as you rightly pointed out you are embarking on a learning curve and part of you education is to forget what Movie Maker does and concentrate on what an NLE (Non-Linear Editor) can do.

Depending on your PC hardware specs, you could also try Da Vinci Resolve (the non-Studio version is free)
It can pan and zoom because it has keyframing already.

Either way, reboot your mind and watch the many tutorial videos from the Shotcut team and users (plenty on youtube)

Thanks for the insight!! While watching videos are helpful, my preference is an User Manual. I haven’t been able to find one. Does one exist?! As a prime example, you mentioned a “NLE” like a novice like me is suppose to understand; well, I don’t but wold LOVE to READ more about what those terms are and more! There’s a plethora of terms through out Shotcut that I have NO CLUE as to what they mean and become extremely frustrated watching “TV” in attempts to figure it out! There has got to be some WRITTEN material somewhere? Thanks again.

No, hence the tutorials. Shortcut is a W.I.P (Work In Progress) so is always changing.

There are FAQs ► Shotcut - Frequently Asked Questions
There are Shortcut keys ► Shotcut - Keyboard Shortcut Reference
There are How-tos ► Shotcut - How To Articles
And of course the Tutorials ► Shotcut - Tutorial Videos

Google is your friend.

Common video editng terms ► The Most Common Video Editing Terms You Should Know - NewBlue
More ► Jargon: Video Editing Terms - Videomaker
NLE ► Non-linear editing - Wikipedia