Size, position & Rotate. Uncontrolable size weirdness

Aloha !

Perhaps I am doing something wrong in my ShotCut version 20.11.28,
but I can not figure out what. So here is the thing :

I wanted to make a transition from one clip to another. The idea was simple. Using keyframes, I made the width of the first clip go from 1920px to 40px in about a second, then in the first second of the second clip do the opposite. Make it grow from 40px wide to 1920px.

I have two clips of each one second. I created those by measuring the last and first second of the two clips and cut them with the scissors. I also have a backgound picture on a lower video track.

However, the closer I get to 40xp width, the clip gets less tall and you start seeing the backgound picture under the clip. Eventually if you push over tthe 40px boudary, about 12-10px, the hight of the clip is about half the screen ???

It gets eve weirder, initially I saw this behaviour in ShotCut but it was only a few pixels so that was easily corrected by making the final hight 1085px. But only after rendering I saw the weirdness of this effect.

I have added a couple of pictures from VLC so you can see what happens…

And here is the last keyframe from the first clip :

I hope someone can help me. Spent a week trying to get this looking nice but for the life of me, I just can not figure it out…

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers,

Jecepede

I was able to recreate this at some level. In my case it does not go as high as you in the middle, even if I set the last frame at less than 40px

(EDIT: Strange… I recorded a screen capture of the problem, and uploaded it here as a GIF, but I don’t see it in the post.)

I don’t know how to fix this, but meanwhile, you can create the same effect with the Corner Pin filter.

J’ai eu aussi cela l’autre jour, je suppose qu’il y a une limite de taille de fichier

I also had this the other day, I guess there’s a file size limit

@Namma Yes, there is a limit, I think it’s 40 megs. And when the file is too big the forum posts a warning. Not in this case. And my gif is less than 7 megs. It plays perfectly well on my computer.

Oui, il y a une limite de 40 megs je crois. Et lorsqu’on la dépasse, le forum nous averti. Mais là, je n’ai pas eu cet avertissement. Mon GIF pèse moins de 7 megs et il s’affiche parfaitement bien sur mon ordi. Bizarre.

EDIT hmmm… or maybe the limit is 4 megs ? Not sure…

Vous devez avoir raison, mon GIF faisait 4,6 Mo

You must be right, my GIF was 4.6 Mb.

I converted the GIF to mp4 and uploaded it on YouTube instead.

Je ne le reproduis pas sur 20.09.27, la hauteur reste bien sur 1080 sur toute la durée du filtre.

I do not reproduce it on 20.09.27, the height remains well on 1080 for the whole duration of the filter.

Ha, yes, I should have mentioned I reproduced the problem with version 20.11.28. Same as @jecepede

Oui j’aurais dû mentionner ma version de Shotcut. 20.11.28. La même que @jecepede donc.

This might not be what you’re looking for as it’s not using the Size, Position, Rotate filter, rather using the Mask: Simple Shape filter instead with keyframes.

I only keyframed the Width.

https://streamable.com/syumug

1st Image
shotcut_2021-01-02_13-01-29

2nd image
shotcut_2021-01-02_13-02-14

I was able to do it using SPR

pinch.mlt (10.3 KB)

Here’s the MLT file

Aloha !

Thank you for the overwelming answers. I took the time to try all of them. Some were successful, others not so much.

@MusicalBox I think your usage of the corner-pins is the way I should go for. I have tried this and it seems to work like a charm. I can even extend the corner to beyond the scope of the visible screen to make a 3D like-effect.

@Namna I use a new version than you do. Perhaps the function broke in one of the updates ???

@Hudson555x That is a very nice effect as well. I should try to remember that. I’m sure it will come in handy some day :slight_smile:

@bentacular if you mean by “able to do it” reproduce the weirdness, yes I see the same weird behaviour in your vid. I have downloaded the ‘pinch.mlt’ and sure enough, there is is again…
(NB: Love your vid’s btw. Learn a lot from them :D)

Anyway to make a long story short. Corners is the way to go !

Thank you everyone for the help…

Cheeeeeeeeeeeers,

Jecepede

@jecepede I’m glad this solution works for you. Some find the Corner Pin filter complicated to use, but like anything else, it just needs a bit of practice.

Yes. Makes a nice transition. I posted a written tutorial a while ago on how to do it : Horizontal flip transition

Aloha !

Awesome tutorial @MusicalBox. It is basically how I did it as well only I added a background pict in a lower video track so the screen won’t be so dark.

The corner pin is not really complicated to be honest. Just four coords that you can move around. I bet you could even make a spinning Superman Phantom Zone with this effect :slight_smile:

For those three people who forgot about the Phantom Zone effect :

And then look from the one minute fourteen mark :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheeeeeeeeers,

Jecepede

Oh no… Now I’ll have to try to replicate it :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :smiley:
By the way, I saw that movie many times but today it’s the first time I noticed the Wilhelm scream in that scene :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.