Size of MP4 export files

When I export my shotcut projects I notice a quite big file size of the MP4 file (I use the stock Youtube presets but it’s the same with the other H.264 stock presets). For example: I start with a 19 MB mp4 file downloaded from youtube, do some cutting with it (eg. remove some parts), then export the project: The resulting file has 83 MB. When I drop this in Handbrake, the output file is around 11 MB with NO visible quality loss. I observe this in every shotcut project I do.

Am I doing something wrong? How can this be explained?
Any hints are appreciated.

If you are using Hardware Encoding on the export, this can increase the file size considerably.

Thx for the hint. :slight_smile:
Will try w/o hardware encoding and see what happens,

Is there an explanation too? My understanding was that using hardware encoding should only speed up the encoding process while yielding similar results.

In general: Hardware encoding (using the GPU) speeds up encoding, but sacrifices quality as well as producing large files. Software encoding gives better quality and smaller files but at the expense of longer encoding times and use of the CPU.

1 Like

There is an interesting article on the Handbrake website about the performance and quality of GPU encoding vs CPU encoding for various formats. See:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/technical/performance.html

Thanks a lot for your answers.
I could reproduce that: Exporting w/o hardware encoder yields a file with a size of 20 MB (in the example mentioned above). This seems reasonable.

The information on the handbrake website concerning quality, time and file size when using sw or hw encoding is very helpful too.

Hi there, I am new, this is my first post. Reviewing the forum this is the topic closer to what I want to ask.

Yesterday I exported my first project and uploaded to Youtube, the export file resolution was 1920 x 1080, but after I uploaded to Youtube, the resolution was downgraded to 720
Because is my first project I want to know what I did wrong and how to fix it

I emphasize, the resulting file was in 1920 x 1080 resolution but after uploaded to Youtube it was downgraded.

I made my recording with OBS Studio and before yesterday I was using Openshot but the files exported were very big and I decided to try Shotcut after some positive reviews I saw in Youtube.

I am not using a GPU, my processor is a Core i7 in a HP Laptop with 16G RAM

Thanks in advance, I will appreciate all the help you can provide

This is from the YouTube support page:

Low video quality after upload

When you upload a video, it will initially be processed in low resolution. This process helps you complete the upload process faster. When the upload flow is complete, your video will be available to stream in low resolution, on a wide variety of devices.

Higher resolutions, such as 4K or 1080p, can take more time to process. While this processing happens, your video may appear to be missing higher resolutions for several hours. Once high-resolution processing is finished, higher resolutions will be available on your video.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.