Size in Preview changes in export

Hi! I am enjoying learning how to use Shotcut and thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. I am making vid with different videos turned in by my students. The very last video i have added is not playing nice. I have set the crop and size in the same way as others and it looks right in the preview. However once I render it to mp4!, the size doesn’t match anymore. There are a couple other moments like the one in the pic I have attached. Any thoughts on how to make it behave? (Shotcut for me has had other challenges but I imagine they were a result of my computer being not powerful enough for the program to be at its best)
shotcutExportSizeChange|640x400

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

UPDATE: I added some backgrounds that aren’t showing up in the rendered mp4 as well. it is as if it is rendering a previous save and not the current one.

I have latest version of Shotcut, MacbookPro(2012) with El Capitan. 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Is Settings > Preview Scaling set to something other than None? If so, turn it off, go to the trouble spot and adjust. Then, you can turn it back on but ignore that part as something you already addressed.

Your screenshot if very low resolution, but I can see that you are using several video filters at once. Sometimes the filters combine in unexpected ways.

1 Like

Hi, thanks! yes, sry about the screenshot… I knew that I could only upload one and so I tried to cram too much into it :smiley:

I didn’t know about Preview Scaling and it was not set to none. After changing that the preview showed the problems that I was getting with the render - very exciting! so thanks. It led me to discover that if I changed the size option from Fit to Fill then it would go to the size I expected. I am not sure the difference between fit and fill but I will look more on the forum. I had stuck with Fit because the rectangle control was around the whole image so it was easier to manipulate. When I used Fill, the rectangle control only covers half of the image. Is this so you know whether you are in Fit or Fill mode? Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 4.04.04 PM

Fit means the image will be down-sized only to fit within the rectangle. That means if you want the image in its original size (typically this is something smaller than the video resolution like a logo).

Fill means the will be resized up or down to fill the rectangle as much as possible while still keeping the image’s original aspect ratio (shape).

Distort means the image will be resized up or down while also stretching or shrinking as need to completely fill the rectangle.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.