Simple Unmute filter

I would like a simple unmute filter which would be extremely useful to me. It would be used when you want the whole track muted, except one or 2 clips. It would make working in shotcut less tedious and more elegant I quess.

1 Like

Why don’t you just drag the potential unmuted clips to its own track? It’s much cleaner and easier to identify.

1 Like

I grasp that concept and it would be elegant. But if there are only 1 or 2 clips, why not simply move them to a separate track that isn’t muted?

A problem I foresee with Unmute is working on a project, then being away from it for the weekend, then coming back to it and forgetting which of the 100 clips on a track are muted or unmuted. There is no fast way to tell. If one of them is flipped, it may not be discovered until the final watch-thru after the export, then it would have to be fixed and exported again.

Having entirely separate tracks for muted/unmuted takes out the guesswork.

2 Likes

@Austin don’t want to move them to a seperate track because my projects usually already have a lot of tracks (about 5 average) and on top of that I’m editing on a laptop with a small screen so the timeline would be too cramped verticaly if you understand what I mean.

The problem you mention with not knowing which clips are muted or unmuted, could be simply solved with a simple quality of life addition, for example making the muted clips red, and unmuted clips green.
or adding an icon that appears on top of a clip, if the clip is muted or unmuted.

I don’t want to move them to a seperate track because my projects usually already have a lot of tracks (about 5 average) and on top of that I’m editing on a laptop with a small screen so the timeline would be too cramped verticaly if you understand what I mean.

Why do this with a filter? You can control the clips mute status with the properties already and just turn off the audio on the sections you don’t want to hear. Also I would assume a track level mute would override any filters otherwise what’s the point of being able to mute a track?

Great point.

@Doberkeks There is another option. What about putting a Mute filter on the track head (as opposed to an individual clip) and then keyframing that filter? When keyframing a track-level filter, imagine that the entire track is a single long clip. Set the keyframes to be on or off as needed, probably at the transition points from one clip to another.

Using this method, no additional tracks are required on the timeline. When you want to review what’s muted and what isn’t, flip to the Keyframe panel and scroll the timeline to see the keyframe line pop up and down (mute and unmute). That’s basically the same visual cue as the green and red icons you suggested.

The only caveat is that if clips are rearranged to different time slots, the keyframes will have to be manually updated to follow those clips. So keyframing the Mute filter is best done at the very end of editing when no more rearranging will be done.

1 Like