Simple Text Bounding Box Bug

W10 1903

Shotcut 20.09.27 64bit

Visual annoyance where the bounding box for a simple text filter shows up on the wrong clip during playback in Shotcut - doesn’t appear in exported video.

New Project

Add 3 short clips to time line (jpegs don’t work, don’t show the behavior)

Select middle clip

move play head to middle clip

Add simple text filter, default settings are fine

Shrink bounding box significantly and drag toward LEFT half of display (position is not important, just for clarity)

Select right clip

move play head to right clip

Add simple text filter, default settings are fine

Shrink bounding box significantly and drag toward RIGHT half of display (position is not important, just for clarity, to a different part of the screen than previous clip)

LEAVE SELECTION ON RIGHT CLIP

Move play head to start

Play video

When you get to second clip, you will see bounding box for third clip

SELECT MIDDLE CLIP

Move play head to start

Play video

When you get to the third clip, you will see bounding box for second clip

See screenshot below - I hope.

Thanks,
Steve

I wish all bug reports had this level of detail. I salute you.

Thanks. I think it demonstrates the issue, but I doubt it defines it very well. These ghost boxes pop up kind of randomly while using the app. I don’t think clips with text filters need to be adjacent, and maybe you don’t even need more than 1 clip with a text filter. Not too sure.

Head scratching ahead on this one, I suspect.

Happy coding.

Steve

The on-video rectangle control is there per the filter selected in the filters panel based on what object is selected. There is already some code to try to hide it when it is not relevant per the playhead position, but it probably needs more work. So, I consider it a a minor annoyance bug for now. In the meantime, ignore it when it is not relevant, or select a different clip or filter.

Is that also meant to address the issue with Text: Rich?

This is fixed for the next version. It applies to any filter VUI and not just Text: Simple.

I attempted to fix this in v20.11.25, but I am going to remove it because ti causes this problem:

I have no intention of trying to fix this again. You can use the new deselect button in Filters or as mentioned above: ignore it when it is not relevant, or select a different clip or filter.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.