Should I finally leave windows?

I hope it will also work with my desktop.

I already trust less in internet advices after getting the advice that apple products are good :slightly_smiling_face:
(I hope I don’t trigger apple fanboys here)

Currently available version 21.3
Perhaps in the future, when 22 is available, I will again try to install Linux on my laptop, which by then will no longer be new.

1 Like

Mint 22 is likely to arrive within two months. That’s why they made a blog post about their change in kernel versioning. Not long to wait!

2 Likes

This makes me very happy. I don’t mind that there are other distributions, but I’m so used to mint that it’s as comfortable as slippers for me.

Austin and I look alike? That must mean that Austin looks like a cross between Brad Pitt and Chris Hemsworth … right? Right? Why is my wife lying on the floor laughing … :slight_smile:

Interestingly, on the 3-year-old HP Pavilion “gaming” laptop that I am currently using (bought not for gaming but to see how much difference the Nvidia GPU would make), wifi has always worked “out of the box,” as have most other things. What has never worked properly is the SD card reader. With successive kernel updates, it has gone from completely unrecognized to, now, showing up in the dmesg output as almost woriking … but still not. Annoying, but I need it rarely enough that I have just used a USB adapter instead.

1 Like

images (46)

Lol… Never knew @Austin looked like this. Damn, you’re handsome austin. Why do I suddenly like men out of nowhere :slightly_smiling_face:

@awake Your wife is just crazy happy to have a handsome man like you, that’s why she is laughing :upside_down_face:

I didn’t realize I had put that selfie on-line … :slight_smile:

About my wife … I dunno. Whenever I try to be a wit, she tells me I am half-way there!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought he was @Austin :slightly_smiling_face:
Wait, you both could be long lost twins who got seperated in a carnival when you both were 2 years old, who look the same :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

20 year ago, I was network supervisor of a Novell & UNIX network - and had a fleet of 50 PCs and about 20 printers, ½ doz scanners and ½ doz connected photocopiers. Then I was promoted to a less computer management role for 8 years, then retired. So I know a bit about computers - mainly Windows PCs (and ATARIs and APPLE IIEs in the distant past).

A few years ago, I got sick of Windows and went to LINUX. I spent hours to get my printers, scanner, and other stuff connected and working properly. Yes - it all worked - except loading new software was a real challenge - unlike Windows where you clicked 3 buttons and it was there - LINUX didn’t work like that. And I’d forgotten all my UNIX.

I tried 4 different ones (Ubuntu etc) - some were easier, but I got frustrated when I discovered that simple things like printing - 2 sided, border adjustment etc - forget that, it’s too complicated for LINUX to do. Scanning similarly - basic only. And I do a lot of printing and scanning.

So - I’m back at Windows. I’ve moved one laptop to Windows 11 - and regret it - the Windows Explorer was the first disappointment - AWFUL. But because I did a full new install (new SSD to replace the HDD) - I couldn’t roll back to Windows 10.

1 Like

Some think it has actually gotten a little better recently with the addition of tabs and redesign. With that said, there are some nice alternatives:

• Directory Opus (the one I use, commercial)
  • FreeCommander (like a DirectoryOpus lite)
  • Files

When I was an Amiga user there were some popular utilities including Directory Opus. You probably had them on Atari ST. But basically, they have a dual panel view where the current panel is the source directory and other is the destination. Combine that with keyboard shortcuts to make file management fast and convenient – drag-n-drop is overrated.

1 Like

Thanks - I’ll look into it.

The tabs feature is indeed better, but the right click show more options and changing copy and paste option to only a icon has made it worst also.

1 Like

It is interesting how different each person’s experience can me. For me, it is generally harder to find, download, and install software on Windows than on Linux. That likely reflects my many years of using Ubuntu as my primary driver …

Yeh I would say the find and download part is easy on any operating system, but sweet lord, installing through command prompt is the most torturing thing I have seen, it punishes you to your last soul. And if there’s a problem, you’re basically screwed until you find someone who’s good in linux.
But snap store solves that problem, atleast better than Microsoft store :slightly_smiling_face:

I would love linux the most if every terminal action also gets a graphical user interface to make it easier for dumb guys like me.

For many system administrators, this is not a problem, but even an advantage, since to interact with the server you do not need to have graphical interfaces, and to manage the server, for example, via SSH, this is much faster and more reliable than connecting to it through some graphical utilities, such as TeamViewer, The Internet channel is not always ideal between the server and the remote administrator. In the Linux world, as a rule, one group of programmers develops functional software, the other develops a graphical interface for it, if this software is popular. As an example, I can cite such utilities as ffmpeg and yt-dlp, for which there is a huge variety of graphical shells both in Windows and Linux, but they are always based on these console utilities (ffmpeg and yt-dlp). Even our favorite Shotcut is a graphical interface for managing many utilities such as mlt, ffmpeg, movit, fre0ur and others.

1 Like

I hear both of you (Ar_D and dimadjdocent). Quite frankly I find it so much easier and quicker to install via the command line almost without exception. There are other command-line operations I use all the time without having to think twice, and again find them quick and easy and convenient. I suspect this preference reveals deep psychological flaws in my personality … :slight_smile:

On the other hand, for commands and operations I only need to use once in a while, I sometimes really wish there were a quick and easy GUI wrapper so that I wouldn’t have to remember (or look up yet again) all of the options and switches and such. Sometimes one has to resort to internet voodoo to discover the peculiar set of options that will produce the near-magical results.

On the third hand (I’m channeling my inner Motie, for any fellow Niven/Pournelle fans), there often ARE quick and easy GUI wrappers for a great many cli programs. For example, a quick search for “ffmpeg GUI” shows more than one GUI for ffmpeg, and they are both open source and cross-platform. So why don’t I use them? Because, typically, they only make available a relatively small portion of the immense power of ffmpeg or such programs …

… unless you move up to the likes of Shotcut or Handbrake, which integrate ffmpeg with other open-source libraries to create immensely powerful software. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I noticed this too. None of the graphical interfaces allows the use of audio effects, for example, I often use the “compand” filter - it evens out the volume very well, or the “minterpolate” video filter is an indispensable filter if I need to increase the frame rate in a video file by adding frames for a smoother video . No GUI allows this. Handbrake doesn’t allow you to do this either.

1 Like

linux is for server only … personal use windows is much much better !!!

my option as computer engineer

1 Like

In the modern world, Linux surrounds us everywhere. Android smartphones based on the Linux kernel, routers, smart watches, smart TVs, a lot of automated equipment runs on the Linux kernel. Even the most popular portable console, SteamDeck, runs on ArchLinux.

1 Like

you are correct about android … I just keep my mind in windows competitors em notebook and pc …

and smart tv and etc is linux which windows interface :slight_smile:

1 Like