Shotcut wont open/execute!

And the cores thing i have no clue about. where are the external settings folders?

My Shotcut is working fine, as I’m following this discussion and trying to learn a few things. I looked in my registry and couldn’t find the opengl key.

I tried with setting Shotcut to Automatic, OpenGL, and DirectX. None of these settings made the opengl key appear in my registry.

notepad_2020-03-16_19-04-55

Does this key only appear for the very first time installers of Shotcut?
If I had the same problem I would be a bit confused as well as to what to change/add here as well as I don’t understand either.

I am sure to be wrong here, but for windows users, should the suggestion be to change the shotcut.ini file, and not a registry setting?

GTX1070
NVIDIA_GeForce_Experience_2020-03-16_19-24-37

You have an app data directory set in the registry (set using Settings > App Data Directory > Set…). When that is set, then it uses the shotcut.ini in the app data directory to get the rest of the configuration. If you are a new user or run the installer with the option to delete the registry keys, then you no longer have an app data directory defined. In that case Shotcut uses a default app data directory. The idea of defining a custom app data directory and then using a configuration from there is important part of making an app portable or relocatable. The classic example is that you can put the app on a USB stick and take it along with your configuration and custom presets to another system and run it from there (you will need to use App Data Directory > Set… again at least once or run with a command line option).

here @xdhox
Download and extract this zip file.
Shotcut Display Methods.zip (955 Bytes)

It contains registry files (.reg) that you can use to change Shotcut’s Display Method by creating or editing the opengl registry key. DirectX is the default.

First try Shotcut use OpenGL.reg by double-clicking it and then clicking Yes on the Windows warning dialogs. Then, try launching Shotcut.

If that does not work, next try Shotcut use Software GL.reg, again, by double-clicking it.

Does not work
Funny thing is, i just downloaded the newest version then it worked! then i tried re-launching then it stopped working
Nothing works anymore man im so confused and upset

[Info ] Application::Application Starting Shotcut version 20.02.17
[Info ] Application::Application Windows version 160
[Info ] Application::Application number of logical cores = 10
[Info ] Application::Application locale = QLocale(English, Default, UnitedStates)
[Info ] Application::Application install dir = “C:/Program Files/Shotcut”
[Info ] Application::Application device pixel ratio = 1
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log language “en_US”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log deinterlacer “onefield”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log external monitor “”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log GPU processing false
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log interpolation “bilinear”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log video mode “”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log realtime true
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log audio channels 2
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log display method 17
[Error ] Application::Application Failed to rename opengl32sw.dll
[Debug ] MainWindow::changeTheme begin
[Debug ] MainWindow::changeTheme end
[Debug ] MainWindow::MainWindow begin
[Debug ] Mlt::Controller::Controller begin

[Error ] Application::Application Failed to rename opengl32sw.dll
Your solution might not be working

This is attempted when using the software method. This is a known problem when using the Microsoft Store version of the app. It could also happen if the file is locked by another running shotcut.exe whether visible or not (could be zombie in the background). You can try again after rebooting to make sure. If it still does not work, then go to C:\Program Files\Shotcut in Explorer and try to rename opengl32sw.dll to opengl32.dll yourself manually.

Doesnt work :confused:
[Info ] Application::Application Starting Shotcut version 20.02.17
[Info ] Application::Application Windows version 160
[Info ] Application::Application number of logical cores = 10
[Info ] Application::Application locale = QLocale(English, Default, UnitedStates)
[Info ] Application::Application install dir = “C:/Program Files/Shotcut”
[Info ] Application::Application device pixel ratio = 1
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log language “en_US”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log deinterlacer “onefield”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log external monitor “”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log GPU processing false
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log interpolation “bilinear”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log video mode “”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log realtime true
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log audio channels 2
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log display method 15
[Error ] Application::Application Failed to rename opengl32.dll
[Debug ] MainWindow::changeTheme begin
[Debug ] MainWindow::changeTheme end
[Debug ] MainWindow::MainWindow begin
[Debug ] Mlt::Controller::Controller begin

I’m beginning to think there is no fix for this

I dont understand why it cant rename it!

Your screenshot shows that you or Shotcut did successfully rename it. However,

[Error ] Application::Application Failed to rename opengl32.dll

That error indicates that your configuration is NOT set to use the Software method. Use the registry file to change it to Software mode, make sure this file is named opengl32.dll and NOT opengl32sw.dll to give it one last try.

If the above does not work, I agree; Shotcut does not work on your system. Use something else.
This is the last I am going to reply to this.

I believe you should just patch the incompatibility issues

This is not a helpfull comment, you’re blaming the developer for something that is wrong with YOUR system. openGL is supported by your gpu and assuming you have up to date drivers should work, the hardware you listed is all fairly common and something that users here before have used without issue. Did you check that your hdd is healthy? You mentioned antivirus but never what kind, or your video card driver version, what other software is running at the same time besides shotcut?

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.