Shotcut not using GPU & showing memory errors

What is your operating system?
(If you are using Linux, you must state how you installed Shotcut as there are too many builds and packages. In general, we do not make the build installed by your distribution package manager unless it installs the Snap. The developers only build, test, run, and support the builds shown on our download page.)
Windows 11 Pro, 22H2

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)?
Shotcut version 23.09.29

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

Summary:
Yes, mostly very, very repeatable. Upon using Open File button on shotcut UI, on any of 3 videos I was hoping to edit, wait for it to automatically start playing once it is in the playlist area, and the audio plays flawlessly, but the video only updates the frame about every 4-15 seconds, or never. Super slow to respond to any menu clicks, often says "not responding in Task Manager and resource Manager, and once shotcut sometimes says it is reporting the problem to Microsoft on this latest version I purchased from the Store. I finally was able to note, based on your Shotcut log saying “GPU processing false” that my GPU runs for other programs, but not for Shotcut.

Details:

Here is a link to my Microsoft 365 space for my handy business of wigglemylegs.com. I have uploaded logs, screen captures, windows event viewer files, etc.

ShotcutNotUsingGPU

Please excuse me if this is not a bug. I wasn’t sure where to ask about this information. Last night I wanted to edit some video and downloaded a new version of shotcut from shotcut. Before running the installation, I went to Programs and Features and uninstalled shotcut. Then noticed the shotcut folder was still full of files under Program Files and deleted it. Then ran CCleaner and cleaned up shotcut registry keys, but did not go to registry and search and destroy shotcut keys. Then installed shotcut. No videos will play the frames. Just pure clean smooth audio with frame updates about every 4-15 seconds, or no frame updates. I looked into this on the Net and tried some things. I checked my AV and couldn’t see it was causing problems. In Task Manager and Resource Manager it seems shotcut holds top cpu spot without interference from other processes, and resources are not maxed out, but it simply turns red every so often and is reported as not responding. So it looks like a setting is off, or an incompatibility.

My system is LG laptop.

Intel(R) Core™ i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz 1.50 GHz (10th gen, 8 core)
Intel Iris Plus Graphics
2TB SSD
40GB RAM

Then after failing to get it working I decided to see about the version from Microsoft Store. I first uninstalled shotcut using Programs and Features CP, and CCleaner on keys. Then went to Store and did the free trial to see if it was different behavior prior to purchasing it. The very first video I loaded, and one of the ones that had constantly failed, played perfectly. I was happy. Purchased it. Ran it, and THEN it behaved exactly as the prior version with constant hanging and infrequent frame updates. I also found it installed under WindowsApps folder under Program Files folder. It does not show up under Programs and Features CP, so I guess uninstalling it would mean taking ownership of WindowsApps folder, because windows says I don’t have permissions to open the folder, and manually deleting it. Kind of a pain. But to replicate the working experience during the free trial, I would have to do this permissions thing to uninstall shotcut and try the free trial again.

I ran dxdiag and the following errors were shown near the end of report under the heading “Diagnostics”. And this report below is for the one installed from Microsoft Store that will prove difficult to uninstall.

Diagnostics

Windows Error Reporting:
+++ WER0 +++:
Fault bucket 2129128144713995740, type 5
Event Name: MoAppHang
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: 63764Meltytech.Shotcut_23.9.29.0_x64__n3ep7ff047466
P2: praid:Shotcut
P3: 23.9.29.0
P4: 65169e06
P5: 3820
P6: 134217728
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER1 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: AppHangTransient

Problem signature:
P1: shotcut.exe
P2: 23.9.29.0
P3: 65169e06
P4: unknown
P5: unknown
P6: unknown
P7: unknown
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER2 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64

Problem signature:
P1: shotcut.exe
P2: 23.9.29.0
P3: 10.0.22621.2.0.0
P4:
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER3 +++:
Fault bucket 1671454220300360808, type 5
Event Name: StoreAgentInstallFailure1

Problem signature:
P1: Update;ScanForUpdatesForUser
P2: 80073d02
P3: 22621
P4: 2361
P5: Windows.Desktop
P6: P
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER4 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: StoreAgentInstallFailure1

Problem signature:
P1: Update;ScanForUpdatesForUser
P2: 80073d02
P6: P
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER5 +++:
Fault bucket 1183561107332529213, type 5
Event Name: StoreAgentScanForUpdatesFailure0

Problem signature:
P1: Update;
P2: 8024402c
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER6 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER7 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER8 +++:
Fault bucket 1688931421958155341, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH

Problem signature:
P1: soffice.bin
P2: 4.1.9811.500
P3: 63e49658
P4: KERNELBASE.dll
P5: 10.0.22621.2361
P6: cb9e69ce
P7: e06d7363
P8: 001490e2
P9:
P10:

+++ WER9 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH

Problem signature:
P1: soffice.bin
P2: 4.1.9811.500
P3: 63e49658
P4: KERNELBASE.dll
P5: 10.0.22621.2361
P6: cb9e69ce
P7: e06d7363
P8: 001490e2
P9:
P10:

So of course I wondered if I should be concerned about the Shotcut errors and others. While trying to report this to you, I read your suggestions for describing problems and found you have the Shotcut app log and it says I’m low on memory. Don’t know what’s wrong there. Could be my swap file is too large at 40GB. Or not large enough. Can’t understand. And your log says GPU processing is “false” and I don’t know why.

If there is anything else you want, let me know. If you have advice, I’m listening.

Thanks!!

Chris

It is easy: right-click the app icon and choose to remove it.

I do not reproduce your problems. As for how much it uses the GPU, read the FAQ on the web site. It is not a heavy GPU using app unless you opt into it in the Settings menu. You probably have something installed on your cluttered system that is interfering with Shotcut and would need to reinstall Windows.
When the log says “<Util::isMemoryLow> available RAM = 30591952 KB” it is not telling you that memory is low. This is the low memory checker reporting the free memory.
I am not able to make Shotcut work good on every system because I do not have every system. Neither do I have the time, patience, and mental health to try to troubleshoot it on every problematic system. There is nothing I am personally going to do about this. There is a very small chance that some other person wil but I doubt it. So, here’s the deal: since it is freely available, either it works for you on your system: you decide.

Thanks for super quick response!!!

Very nice on uninstall. Thanks!!

I completely understand. Please keep your mental health.

I had some trouble making the videos in a hurry today, but one of them that I think I lost, was showing totally beutifully smooth video for the first time in Shotcut. But I was running Logicapture video capture sw at the same time. While this was occurring my GPU was mostly stuck at 100% with both running. While later, it seemed Shotcut was no longer running with GPU and went back to frozen frames, even though Logicapture was running at the same time. During that instance Task Manager showed GPU from about 24=60 percent, rather than 100%, as though the GPU percentage was all from Logicapture. So without knowing much at all here, it just seemed like the key has something to do with using GPU.

Thanks again. Thanks for a beautiful product. I hope to use it again. In the meantime, I’ll see about a fresh Windows installation,

Also, if it would do any good, I would consider wiping my system and shipping it to you. but that may not be what you want to do at all.

Chris

You should try rebooting if you have not.

Yes. Many times. :slight_smile: