Shotcut Needs Markers. Badly

I know that this has been requested before, but Shotcut needs markers because let’s say you’re creating a project where you need to synchronize: Typically with video on one track with something on another (which I do regularly).

You can use a cut as a marker but the problem is that you’re cutting up your project, which can cause all sorts of issues because for me no matter the editor I’m working in, a cut is a cut (and I prefer to keep it that way).

As you know, it is on the road map, and someone is working on it.

Perhaps the easiest workaround is to create a separate, hidden video track with one long color clip on it, and split that up. Every time you split you can individually name these color clips as well as change the color (in Properties).

Now, you have all your editing features and shortcuts to use with it. For example, double-click one to seek to it. You can also use Merge with next clip on them to remove a marker.

2 Likes

What about @namna’s markers?

1 Like

This workaround is better than that add-on in my opinion because it is unlimited and can save with the project. I strongly discourage anyone replacing Shotcut installed files. For example, there was this recent change:

commit 3401d765531a14006e0f67c996ee55ff178b72bc
Author: Dan Dennedy <dan@dennedy.org>
Date:   Tue Aug 3 22:13:11 2021 -0700

add option to insert new V1 track above audio track

In some cases, it is not possible as in the case of macOS, Windows store, and Linux AppImage/Snap/Flatpak apps.

1 Like

No doubt. Messing with Shotcut installed file is a No-No. That being said as I mentioned I do things that markers would really help with every day so I admit to being a bit impatient.

I have been working on it. I will tease you with this preview:
I am currently working on the format to store the marker data in the .mlt file.
Thanks for your patience.

15 Likes

That looks great!

That’s good to hear that there is movement on this. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m curious though about the look of those markers. Why do they all have two ends? Are they all on some sort of in and out mode?

In my current concept, a marker can be for a single frame, or a range of frames. In the snapshot, the three markers are all marking a range of frames.

1 Like

That screen capture looks great, @brian . I’m hoping that we’re going to be able to mixdown (export) just the portion of video in between two marker points (then be able to re-import it)? And if so, do this easily (maybe with a couple of clicks, or a keyboard shortcut). Like “copy timeline to source” but much easier and quicker.That would be a great time-saving feature for me! Thanks for working on this!

1 Like

Yes, that is one use case I have in mind for the future (maybe not the first release).

2 Likes

Super, thanks!

This is what I was wondering myself. In fact, the way I traditionally use markers two ends could be problematic (though you say that this is a view of an option, not the default).

It would be good if you could expand on your use cases and how you expect markers to help. I think a lot of people come along and say “we need markers” and they just assume that everyone needs them for exactly the same thing.

I use markers typically to determine a point where either a cut can be made (or a point of interest which is why I don’t use cuts as a replacement for them. Otherwise, if you’re not doing something really short and don’t require multiple cuts things can get really messy and out of control. Fast).

I bring that up because at one point it was suggested to use a cut as a substitute.

If I wanted to select a range I’d use a single marker, one at an ‘In’ and the other at an ‘Out’ point.

That’s why I don’t need a marker to span a range (and hope it’s optional so that I could perhaps use it in my own time).

If anything, instead of a range I’d just want color-coding – which the screenshot you’ve shown seems to include – so I could choose one color for markers and another for cuts or whatever.

For me, having markers to indicate a region is important - more important in fact than having them mark a particular point (or points) on the timeline (although that would be very useful for long complex projects (eg tutorial videos)…

Region markers - for the reason I mentioned in my post above, mainly so you can export just that region (a request I’ve often seen in this forum by other users). Use case - you have a section with animated text, arrows etc, and there’s maybe 5 or 6 layered tracks of text. This slows down playback considerably, so I’d export that section then re-import it to replace the multi-track section.

As I said, “Copy Timeline To Source” does that but it is very fiddly and time consuming getting the in and out points right.

@brian, I’m presuming you would be able to stretch out the red/blue/green bars to select a range, or squash them horizontally just to mark one frame?

That to me would be awesome.

Further thoughts.
Here is my latest tutorial timeline.
Photo 1: no marker track:

Photo 2: marker track added to V7 with colour clip, split at various points, as per @shotcut’s suggestion (earlier post in this thread):

The “marker track” works great (double-click a section to go straight to a certain point) - BUT -

a) it takes up another track and although I’ve not tested it too much, I think might slow timeline playback down, and

b) the marker track is only visible if I either increase the vertical height of the timeline (which reduces the size of the preview screen) or reduce the height of ALL tracks (which makes editing very fiddly).

I often do what @jonray showed in his second image although I label each item (EDIT: and I turn off the track display. so I only see the labels in the time line, not on the video). So a feature I’d like to see with markers is the ability to name them. Being able to export a marked region would be handy (better than copy to source and adding in and out points), but I’d mostly want to use markers to label regions of my video. Like “intro”, “ocean scene”, “beach scene”, “credits” etc. Being able to drag the ends of a marker after it’s created would be helpful too.

1 Like