Shotcut freezes with trying to add screen capture to timeline

This might just be me not knowing what I’m doing. But I initiate a video capture with File>Open Other>Screen, this starts the video capture but when I try to stop it and move it to the timeline to run it Shotcut freezes and I have to force close it.

I’m running Kubuntu 16.04 with KDE PLASMA 5.5.5, Qt 5.5.1, Kernel 4.4.0-36-generic, 64bit. and Shotcut 16.09.01. running on a Dell laptop with an I3-2310M 2.1GHz with 8 gig of ram.

I don’t know if this is just me not knowing how to save the capture clip before adding it to a project or if there is something wrong with my system.

Thanks for your help.

Les

While it’s true that you weren’t exactly using screen capture correctly, following your steps I could very reliably reproduce the same freeze. If it causes the program to halt and become unusable, it is still a problem that should be fixed, even if you weren’t “supposed” to do that.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open Shotcut
  2. Go to File > Open Other > Screen (Or however you get to screen capture on your OS, I tested this on OSX and Windows 10)
  3. Begin recording and press Stop icon in the middle of the source player when you are done.
  4. Attempt to drag the “clip” in the viewer to the timeline.
  5. Shotcut freezes.

In order to get this to work you have to save it first, before attempting to load it in the timeline. After step 3 you should click “Capture File” in the export tab, add a name, and then click “Stop Screen Capture”. Then the material in the viewer turns into an actual file that you can work with.

Thank you Lauren, I thought that this was the case, I just didn’t see the export tab. I"ll look at it in the morning.

ok, I followed your steps, here’s what happens,

1. start capture
  2. runs maybe 1 min
  3. click on the stop button in the middle of the screen
  4. bring up export tap
  5. click export file save as an mp4
  6. shotcut minimizes
  7. expand shotcut and click stop screen capture
  8. shotcut crashes and closes.
  9. open shotcut, it says there are recovery files
  10. play saved file and it’s the last couple of seconds of the clip, like a still of the last frame for 30 seconds. it’s not the entire clip.

I get a similar result, although without the crash. After I click the Stop button and export the file, Shotcut minimizes. When I maximize the Shotcut window and stop the capture, the saved clip plays in the Source viewer, but the contents of the clip are everything that happened AFTER I clicked the Stop button; i.e., it shows me clicking on the Shotcut icon on the taskbar to unminimize it but nothing that happened before that.
This is on Windows 10 with a dual monitor setup. BTW, I have to do a screen capture with Shotcut running on my secondary monitor. If it’s on my primary, I get this lovely mirror-in-mirror thing going on in the Source viewer. In Windows, there doesn’t seem to be a way to change the capture display like there is in Linux.

Testing on Windows 10 by replaying a 1 minute long video on youtube while screen recording. No crashes or replaying only the second half of the video. I did notice it starts the capture after you click that stop button, or more specifically after it minimizes, instead of the other way around like I described earlier. Sorry about the mistake. :worried:

I did notice the 30 second issue, or what seemed to be something like it when testing on OSX. This may be a problem on other operating systems, though.

Basically, what @john827472 is describing I can reproduce, and seems to be just typical function. @brew1brew’s issue I cannot reproduce.

I’ll try and come up with steps for reproducing issues with the screen capture on OS other than Windows, and to better understand it. If I can I will post an issue about it on github.

The steps to capture are:

1. File > Open Other > Screen
  2. set options and click OK
  3. do NOT click stop
  4. click Export
  5. choose a preset such as lossless/HuffYUV
  6. click Capture File
  7. enter a file name
  8. click OK
  9. let it record and capture, minimize Shotcut if needed
  10. click Stop Capture

Think of it like recording any sort of live input: if you stop the input there is nothing to record! Also think of it like the clip-oriented workflow: open… export.

Now, with all that said, I do know there are problems with it. On Windows, it is horribly slow. On OS X, when also selecting an audio input, A/V sync is way off. I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 on my Linux box - now using Unity desktop instead of 14.04 with KDE - and the capture is not working as intended at all. In Linux and Windows, choosing to show the capture region breaks the screen capture. So, I am inclined to remove this feature for now as it is simply not working good enough overall.

Screen capture is removed in v16.10. Use OBS or something else.