Shotcut does not start with "Free(): Invalid Pointer" error on Ubuntu Studio 18.04 LTS

This bug literally just happened to me yesterday, and the day before then, shotcut opened and worked like a dream. However, now, Shotcut silently fails when I try to open it using the desktop icon, and using the terminal to open it displays errors regarding LADSPA before Aborting at the error message “free(): Invalid Pointer”. I will link the output of the terminal below. I have not changed any audio settings that would’ve caused LADSPA or Shotcut to misbehave between the last time it launched successfully, and the first time it failed to launch. I have reinstalled it multiple times in both FlatPack and Portable Tar form, and neither version will launch.

Terminal log.txt (2.1 KB)

did this crash also occur with 18.9? I see you’re using 18.10 currently.

Could you provide the log from flatpak?

From the portable tar install, if you edit Shotcut.app/shotcut and remove the export LADSPA_PATH... line does it work?

I get this crash when csladspa is installed on Ubuntu, which is some sort of LADSPA CSound bridge, and the LADSPA_PATH is set, which we do now. In the debugger the crash occurs inside the ladspa_descriptor() function of the csladspa.so plugin, which is out of my control. Here is their bug:

I can confirm my Ubuntu install is using v6.10.0 whereas 6.11.1 is the fixed version.

A solution is to simply uninstall csladspa, but if you need it another solution is to remove the LADSPA_PATH line from the shotcut launch script.

Can confirm, removing csladspa fixes the issue. Thanks.

@EnzoD I still don’t understand, why the flatpak version would not run, since system libraries have not effect on it. So could you please provide the out put of:

$ flatpak run org.shotcut.Shotcut

Ok, I made a mistake. I was actually referring to the Snap package for the other version I was installing.
To be sure, I installed the flatpak version proper after reinstalling csladspa and… well, I can’t even install it, because flatpak itself is reporting a 503 error after installing all the way, only to revert all changes. This isn’t a problem with shotcut itself, I know, but this does mean I can;t check the flatpak version right now

In that case, the Flatpak is very unlikely to be affected since it runs in a container and without a LADSPA_PATH. The Snap, however, runs exactly the same as the portable.

What’s your distribution / flatpak version? Does it work, if you install via command line:

$ flatpak install flathub org.shotcut.Shotcut

I have the same problem, but csladspa does not seem to fix it - i have the snap version installed on ubuntu studio 18.04.
I am not quite sure what to do as i am not very used to this kind of stuff. :slight_smile:

I just tried to run it from the terminal and this was what i got:
env BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE_HINT=/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/shotcut_shotcut.desktop /snap/bin/shotcut %F
[Info ] Application::Application Starting Shotcut version 18.10.08
[Info ] Application::Application Linux version
[Info ] Application::Application number of logical cores = 2
[Info ] Application::Application locale = QLocale(Danish, Latin, Denmark)
[Info ] Application::Application install dir = “/snap/shotcut/35/Shotcut.app/bin”
[Info ] Application::Application device pixel ratio = 1
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log language “da_DK”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log deinterlacer “onefield”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log external monitor “”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log GPU processing false
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log interpolation “nearest”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log video mode “”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log realtime true
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log audio channels 2
[Debug ] MainWindow::changeTheme begin
[Debug ] MainWindow::changeTheme end
[Debug ] MainWindow::MainWindow begin
[Info ] GLTestWidget::GLTestWidget OpenGL context version 4 6
[Debug ] Mlt::Controller::Controller begin
free(): invalid pointer
Aborted (core dumped)

This doesnt tell me a thing because i don’t know much about this, but is there anything i can do?

@shotcut i hope you can help (or somebody as well versed in shotcut :slight_smile: )

Now i just made a clean install of ubuntu studio and updated it and installed shotcut from the softwarecenter (which gives me a snap-version as far as i can tell) and then i ran it from the terminal and this is what i got:

env BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE_HINT=/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/shotcut_shotcut.desktop /snap/bin/shotcut %F
[Info ] Application::Application Starting Shotcut version 18.10.08
[Info ] Application::Application Linux version
[Info ] Application::Application number of logical cores = 2
[Info ] Application::Application locale = QLocale(Danish, Latin, Denmark)
[Info ] Application::Application install dir = “/snap/shotcut/35/Shotcut.app/bin”
[Info ] Application::Application device pixel ratio = 1
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log language “da_DK”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log deinterlacer “onefield”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log external monitor “”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log GPU processing false
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log interpolation “nearest”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log video mode “”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log realtime true
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log audio channels 2
[Debug ] MainWindow::changeTheme begin
[Debug ] MainWindow::changeTheme end
[Debug ] MainWindow::MainWindow begin
[Info ] GLTestWidget::GLTestWidget OpenGL context version 3 0
[Debug ] Mlt::Controller::Controller begin
[Info ] Plugin 2670 exists in both ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/waveguide_mesh_2670.so’ and ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/signal_abs_2669.so’; using version in ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/waveguide_mesh_2670.so’
[Info ] Plugin 1952 exists in both ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/vco_sawpulse.so’ and ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/blvco.so’; using version in ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/vco_sawpulse.so’
[Info ] Plugin 1953 exists in both ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/vco_sawpulse.so’ and ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/blvco.so’; using version in ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/vco_sawpulse.so’
[Info ] Plugin 1954 exists in both ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/vco_sawpulse.so’ and ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/blvco.so’; using version in ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/vco_sawpulse.so’
free(): invalid pointer
Aborted (core dumped)
There is some more infor this time, but i don’t know what to do with it?

After having tried the suggested solutions with no effect i just did it again and this time it worked… and all the previous attempts were also with sudo privileges :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.