Shotcut DNG files / ML RAW

I need a way to import DNG files. I’ve used the youtube link below which demonstrates with jpeg files.

I can’t get a the sequence of DNG files to playback? and the resolution is very low. I’ve uploaded a screen shot to try and demonstrate.

How can I edit RAW files which have been converted to DNG files in shotcut?

Many thanks

Why don’t using RawTherapee to batch convert dng => Jpeg (directly video size), then follow on the tutorial linked?

DNG are RAW.
Neither are images, the low resolution you see are the embedded jpeg previews.
Convert your RAW to jpeg before using them in Shotcut.

But then I’m lossing the benefits of it being RAW by converting to jpeg?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html
Like @Steve_Ledger said DNG is RAW, but it’s appears that DNG is proprietary and only to be used with Adobe products. Perhaps I’m reading this wrong.

No, the benfits of RAW is that you have all the data from the sensor rather than the camera baking-in the settings to a JPEG.
RAW lets you develop the image in a RAW developer such as Lightroom.
RAW ignores most of your camera settings, custom image profiles and WB etc. Ignored.
You can set the camera to shoot monochrome, but the RAW will still be colour.
RAW is not an image. It’s flat data.

Incorrect.
DNG is supported by all RAW editors. Even many image editors.
FASTONE does too.
DNG is universal and intended to be future proof, whereas many camera manufacturers own version are not.
Some cameras now have the option to save as DNG raw type. My LG G4 can save as DNG :slight_smile:

Some info about the DNG format and it’s objectives.
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html

Thanks Steve… I’m way behind in understanding this format (RAW). I have as an option on my Nikon D3200 camera (cheap, I know), but never use it. I’ve seen a few videos on how people edit with it, but not at all understanding any of the concepts. But I also struggle with basic camera settings outside of auto. Someday I’ll delve into it, but just not exciting enough nor do I need to learn it right now.

No worries.
I’ve been shooting and developing RAW for many years. You quickly get to a point that developing the RAW (I use Lightroom) is fast because you know what needs doing to get the result you are after.
I do a lot of photography every week at a music club where the RGB led lighting is a nightmare for camera sensors. Especially the magenta and reds. The colours rotate to the pulse of the music, you can’t set WB because it’s changing all the time. So shooting RAW is the only way to deal with it and correct them in post.

Not too far off-topic as the OP could do well understanding how to prepare his RAW images for use in Shotcut.

Here’s an example of the lighting I have to deal with.
The top image is the RAW and the bottom is the corrected JPEG out of Lightroom.
Note how there are blown areas and the singer’s upper arm tattoo can’t even be seen.
You can recover all this when shooting RAW, if you just shot JPEG in-camera, there’d be nothing to recover so you’d end up with the top image as your ‘baked’ result.
This is why if you’re serious about getting the best out of your DSLR or MFT camera then you must learn to use RAW. RAW is the digital equivalent to film negatives.

1 Like

RAW and DNG are not yet supported. They are on the road map.

you just need a free raw photo editor such as RawTherapee or Darktable.
more details here: 8 Best RAW Photo Editors for Photographers: Free and Paid - pctechtest
you can convert the raw file to a jpeg file or use the tools to enhance your image.