Shotcut crashing on selecting view OpenGL

Hi,
Have installed Shotcut v18.10 on to our Reference environment (Win 10 OS 1703). When selecting from the menu view/OpenGL the App just crashes. Unfortunately when I go to reopen it doesn’t revert back to the default selection and so just immediately crashes again. Is there:
a) a way around this other than a complete uninstall/reinstall
b) a way of disabling the ability to select this option in the menu. I am worried that we will tell our users not to select OpenGL, but will click on it causing the App to crash and the need for additional support.

Note that I am unable to update the drivers at the moment or for the foreseeable future, as our build image has been base lined now and will not change until we decide to move to a new version of Win 10.

Kind Regards, Egg

This version doesn’t exist.
Latest version is 18.06.02 which can be downloaded here.

Do you have OpenGL installed?
You will get this dialog box when you change display methods. This dialog box is not a bug.
display%20change%20confirm

Does not crash on my end with any display mode selected. I did restart Shotcut as directed.

Shotcut 18.06.02
NVIDIA driver 398.11
OpenGL 4.6.0
DirectX 12
Windows 10 (1803)
i7-7700k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ram, Z270 Mobo, GTX1070

Change the setting in the config file or registry. There is stuff in the FAQ on the web site about the location of these. The registry/config item is named “opengl” and the value “16” means DirectX, 0 => Automatic,

No

Thank you both for your prompt replies.

Apologies for a bit of fat fingering. the version I have installed is 18.01 (180102). I assume that this doesn’t effect the issue we are seeing?

If OpenGL is installed it would be whatever the default is in Window10. Haven’t done anything specific to install OpenGL. Do I need to?

Will look into editing the registry and let you know how it goes. I think as long as long as a user can get back into the application without it crashing, is a good compromise in the short term.

Kind Regards, Egg

It is installed with your video/GPU driver.

Had a look of OpenGL in the registry and could not find that entry:

I only have regkeys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Meltytech:

Shotcut>(Default) value: not set
Shotcut>geometryDefault value: 40 00 42…etc
Shotcut>titleBars value: true
Shotcut>toolBar value: true
Shotcut>windowStateDefault value: 40 00 42…etc

Shotcut>player>(Default) value: not set
Shotcut>player>muted value: false

Shotcut>playlist>(Default) value: not set
Shotcut>playlist>thumbnails value: small
Shotcut>playlist>viewMode value: detailed

Have searched for OpenGL but only found windows related registry settings.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks, Egg

I think you ignored what was typed to you. It’s in with your Graphics drivers. What do you have for a graphics card?

I have a NVIDIA graphics card. Note the driver version number. This is found with GeForce Experience.
nvidia%20drivers

I search for the driver’s release notes: https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/398.36/398.36-win10-win8-win7-desktop-release-notes.pdf
And on Page 7 of the PDF, I’m shown:

• Open Computing Language (OpenCL software) 1.2 for NVIDIA ® Kepler TM and later GPUs
  • OpenGL 4.6
  • Vulkan 1.1
  • DirectX 11
  • DirectX 12 (Windows 10)

From a deployment point of view we are using Hyper-V.
This uses Microsoft Hyper-V video version 10.0.15063.850.
The client UAD uses Intel® 530 version 20.19.15.4474

Does that help shed any light on it?

Kind Regards, Egg

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Meltytech\Shotcut\opengl = 0 (DWORD) for Automatic or 16 for DirectX. I am going to add a page to the web site tonight to document all configuration keys and command line options.
If you do not have it you can try to add it, but lack of it means it is using “DirectX” as that is the default. If that does not work, then I suppose Shotcut is not usable in your reference environment. You can debug it and submit a patch in the open source way.