Shotcut crashes when I open files

What is your operating system?
Windows 11

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

It just crashes like this and doesn’t load anything. I tried opening a video clip and this happened. Ive tried fixing it but nothing works. I used to edit with shotcut all the time.

It shows a video on the Source video tab being 4 minutes, 22 seconds long.
What does it show on the Properties tab?
Is the video on the computer or from a cloud drive?
Sometimes having videos in the /user/ folder may prevent Shotcut from viewing the file.
Have you tried restarting your computer? Seems silly, but it does solve a lot of issues.

I have tried different things. This problem also happened with other editing softwares. Shotcut used to work just fine before.

Shotcut is a compilation of many different software components put together. With about every update, various components change. It could be just as simple as anti-virus picking up on the file changes each update. There is a solution. Providing answers to questions may bring you to that solution.

Look at this post from Brian. Perhaps this may help you.

The Source tab doesn’t appear to be showing the preview window. This could indicate that OpenGL is not working. Sometimes a total uninstall and reinstall of Shotcut can resolve it. Checking for updated video card drivers might help too.

Just workaround…

It seems to be an old codec that is missing.
You could try to open the video with AviDemux as the last chance, and Convert it to standard Mp4…
then use shotcut for editing.

Or try a conversion with some software in general, because could be an old Avi codec not installed or compatible with Win 11… I remerber also a “Codec Pack” to be installed for some software like players some years ago.

Or try an older version of shotcut portable to be sure, if you have.

Quality loss is expected during conversion.