Shotcut crashes on start in Linux - 22.06.23 problem?

What is your operating system?
Kubuntu 18.04

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
All this week it has been “Latest Version”
I am assuming it is now 22.06.23
(This information is now inaccessible)

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?

Option 1;
Right click on any .mkv file
Click “Open with Shotcut”
Shotcut logo appears in the activity bar, wit a spinning-circle throbber, for about one second, then vanishes.

Option 2;
Click on any known-good .mlt file.
Shotcut logo appears in the activity bar, wit a spinning-circle throbber, for about one second, then vanishes.

Option 3;
Click on “Shotcut current” in the Application Launcher.

This is not the first time this bug has occurred; it happened a few months ago, when a new version of Shotcut was introduced (my system is set up for automatic update to the latest version), then corrected itself a few days later when the next version was released.

The same bug and prompt fix occurred about a year ago, when major changes where happening in Shotcut.

3 Likes

Etou com problema de acessar o shotcut pelo ubuntu 18.04
bug total no shotcut

“I’m having problem accessing shotcut on ubuntu 18.04
total bug in shotcut”

Google translate from Portuguese

1 Like

It is no longer compatible with that old version of Ubuntu, and I will not be addressing this other than to update the web site. Use the previous version until you can upgrade the OS.

1 Like

Thank you.

This is completely understandable.

I would have been up to a newer Ubuntu ages ago, except for a difficult corrupted GRUB problem. :frowning_face:

I’ll try it with 20.04 as soon as I can.

Sua melhor solução será atualizar seu sistema operacional para a versão mais recente - Ubuntu 22.04

Hi @kagsundaram good to see you again! An option for fast testing or emergency rendering is to make a bootable USB drive from the Linux Mint 20.3 ISO. It derives from Ubuntu 20.04. UNetbootin can burn the drive from the ISO. I can run, edit, and export with Shotcut AppImage from an entirely LiveUSB session. Maybe that could let you use the new version of Shotcut until Ubuntu is upgraded.

In case you are using snap and affected by this

This from Snap Proxy docs is the only way to pin a revision: Snap overrides | Snap Store Proxy documentation

But that is not simple or convenient. You can revert to a specific revision:

The revision for v22.04.25 is 692. So,
sudo snap revert --revision=692 shotcut

To prevent it from upgrading one idea is to make a daily cron job to run that.

This is useful info - thank you. However, if I try this, it fails saying the revision is not available.

And if I try sudo snap install --revision=692 shotcut, I get a message error: cannot install "shotcut": Access by specifying a revision is not allowed for this Snap.

I don’t really want to upgrade from 18.04 until Canonical stops supporting it. Does that mean I can’t use shotcut?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I guess this is the reason, and you can try revert:

You can also download an older non-snap version from Release v22.04.25 · mltframework/shotcut · GitHub

Thank you so much - I have downloaded this version and it works fine.

Problem solved!

I uploaded new snap, AppImage, and portable builds compatible with Ubuntu 18.04, Mint 19, and the like.