Shotcut crashes after selecting a recent MLT

My wife stored some *.mlt files in a folder named “video”. This folder has subfolders like “source1” and “source2” which contain source videos files *.mp4.

Some weeks ago my wife moved the folder “video” into another folder by accident, but continued working without troubles. Yesterday I cleaned up her folder structure and moved the folder “video” back where it belongs.

But now Shotcut crashes whenever I open a recent *.mlt file.

I created a new MLT file and found out that the entries contain the full path “/home/myname/video/source1/video1.mp4” while the crashing MLT file contains only “source1/video1.mp4”. OK, I inserted the full path in each entry, but Shotcut crashes again.

I loaded a very old MLT file (the source videos are already deleted) and Shotcut asked where the source videos are. I simply closed Shotcut and edited the crashing MLT file again. I removed the full pathes and changed the subfolder names into some invented names which don’t exist. Shotcut opened the MLT file and asked me where the videos are. I entered one correct subfolder name and Shoutcut did the rest. Nice! Then I clicked “OK” and Shotcut crashed again.

BTW: if I try “open MLT as video”, it works very well.

Shotcut version 21.05.01 under Linux Mint 19.3 (64bit)

See this to learn more about files linking:

As for your crashing, did you download Shotcut through our web site? What package format (AppImage, portable tar, Snap, etc.) It should not be crashing, but maybe your build has a problem. You should also try the 21.03.21 AppImage

Sorry, I was completely on the wrong path. I realized that the timeline disappeared and clicked on “restore default layout” and after that, Shotcut does not crash anymore.

What happened?

My wife has a notebook and one additional screen. My wife moved the timeline to the additional screen.

I rearranged the screen settings according to the fact that the additional screen is located higher than the notebook screen. I suppose that Shotcut crashed because it tried to display the timeline on an area which does not exist anymore after my changes.

Before changings 

-------------------            -------------------
|                 |            |                 |
|   Shotcut       |            |                 |
|                 |            |   timeline      |
-------------------            -------------------

After changings 
                               -------------------
                               |                 |
                               |                 |
-------------------            |                 |
|   Shotcut       |            -------------------
|                 | 
|                 |           (timeline impossible)
-------------------

Anyway, thank you very much for your fast support in this forum!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.