Shotcut crashed and now it won´t open any project files

What is your operating system?

Windows 10 Home 18362.959

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
20.07.11 64 bits

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)
I had neglected to update Shotcut, so I was working on a project on an earlier version of it. My laptop is not very fast so the project I was working on started feeling jumpy and suddenly Shotcut stopped responding altogether, so I closed the program and opened it again. In the “RECENT PROJECTS” window I clicked the one I was working on, but instead of opening it, an error messsage appeared, saying it couldn´t be opened.
So I figures maybe it was time to update Shotcut, that maybe that would solve the problem. I did update Schotcut, but the problem persists. And not only does it fail to open my project file, but any of the other projects I have.
I am desperate because I worked on that project many hours and can´t open it anymore. It was close to done. I honestly think I am better off with another program, even if I have to pay for it. I cannot risk my work getting lost without a reason.

Should I uninstall and install again?

No. The project is probably corrupt. It is hard to believe it cannot open any of your projects. Did you check that they actually exist on the file system? Upload the one (.mlt) you want to work on now.

1 Like

Uploading: ep. 2 Conflicto.mlt…

You did not upload correctly. Try again.

I hope I did it right this time
ep. 2 Conflicto.mlt (244.2 KB)

This file contains all ‘NUL’ bytes, is corrupt and unrecoverable. The only way to get it back is through a backup. If you do not have backup, now is the time for you to consider doing that. Some other Windows user report this:

https://forum.shotcut.org/search?q=fail%20open%20NUL

We have found no evidence that Shotcut does this. Shotcut writes to a temporary file, validates it, and then safely replaces the old file only if it was valid. Users of other software report similar problems. It might be linked to how Windows filesystem works when the computer crashes. It might also be due to a corrupt file system or hardware.

See also Failed to Open

1 Like

I know you are going to blame Shotcut and switch to something else. That is understandable, but I made the extra validation and safe file replacement in direct response to this issue. In any case, it seems users of all video editing software complain (mostly about Premier Pro it seems). I just saw this on twitter literally right after making the reply above:

Thank you for your time, man. All things considered, I will give shotcut another shot. Sh*t happens, specially when working with windows. Thank you very much, amigo.

I think whatever happened made Shotcut to stop working. Now it won´t open any file; It shows an error message. I uninstalled it and installed it again, but it refuses to work.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.