Shotcut allows creating folders with a space at the end (Windows bug)

1. Be using Shotcut in Windows. I’m on 19.12.31 but it was also doing this on 19.9.whatever I had before today.
  2. Create a new project and give it a name that ends with a space. For example, "something that ends with a space ".
  3. Click the Start button to create the project.
  4. Try to delete (or rename) the project’s folder in Windows File Explorer.

It’ll give you an error about the folder not being there anymore. Windows doesn’t want spaces at the end of filenames or directory names. Normally any apps where you’d be creating folders will trim for you; a couple times my wife was using Shotcut and accidentally hit space at the end of the project name and it was a bit of a mess to clean up.

I actually can confirm this, and now I don’t know how to get rid of the folder.

@shotcut Suggestion to make this not visible so others don’t try it.

Everyone else, don’t try this as you’ll have to go into windows Command Prompt to remove the folder.

I’m sure there is a more direct route but this is what I found that works for removing the bad directory.

A coworker discovered that if you browse the folder in 7-zip, you can rename it or delete it from there. I can confirm that works. Wish I would have known that sooner.

This is fixed for the next version 20.02

1 Like

Jeez, ‘20.02’-Version? :smiley:
What will be the big change?

My guess is projectName.Trim() before creating the directory and the project file.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.