"Shiny" text effect - Silver and Gold - made in Shotcut

Both great methods! Well done guys!

1 Like

I didn’t realize there was such a demand for this effect

1 Like
4 Likes

Hi @jonray … does this still works in latest shotcut version?

1 Like

Hi @seemon, yes it does! Although it uses a html file, I actually captured the animation as an mp4 and imported into SC so it doesn’t actually use the defunct Text:HTML filter.

1 Like

ok got it @jonray. So the Text:HTML filter is really gone then … :frowning:

1 Like

Yup. Unless you revert to v.20_07 (which actually isn’t hard to do). Even then though, the HTML file I attached won’t work because it’s not converted to webvfx. It will work on any computer, though - just double-click it and you’ll see the animation.

Great bentacular!
I was sure it is that easy :smile:
Now lets go for a nice (after)glow effect :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

Not sure about afterglow, but a NEON glow effect can be created several ways. My favourite way is via HTML/CSS (Hover over the words here: https://codepen.io/FelixRilling/pen/qzfoc), however the effect can be done solely using Shotcut as well. e.g.

Put the same text on tracks V1 & V2. Choose a colour that is vibrant e.g. a pinkish red. On V2, choose the text parameters as shown in the screenshot above, notably: OUTLINE: white, THICKESS: 1, 2 or more.

For track V1, choose the text parameters as shown in the image below, notably: OUTLINE: a darker shade of the colour, THICKNESS: 22 or thereabouts, You will have to reposition the text to nullify the offset.

Add the filters Gaussian Blur; Blur Box and Brightness to V1.
Add the Brightness filter to V2.

Play around with the parameters et voilà. You could keyframe some of the values to create a flickering effect.

Also, try exchanging the color of the Font and the Outline on v1.

6 Likes

Nice @Elusien,

Appears this works … hmm a little slow though when running it.
Also in doing key frame, do we need to add manually each keyframe or can we do just first 2 and then apply a cycle to repeat or something?

I personally would do it using HTML and Javascript, where you can program the keyframes and easily add in a little randomness. I only did the Shotcut one as an exercise in response to @RilosVideos’s query about an (after)glow effect. If I were to do it fully in Shotcut I’d propably keyframe a clip of just a few seconds then copy-paste this clip, with its associated filters several times over to fill out the amount of time needed. You could keyframe one long clip, but to my mind it would be a lot of work.

1 Like

ok got it … think I will avoid this. Not good at HTML and Javascript …

1 Like

It isn’t horrendously difficult. I keyframed a 4sec clip, using mostly discreet keyframes on the Brightness filter on V1:

and ended up with this, which isn’t bad for a 1 minute attempt. By the way, the 4 sec clip took just 11 secs to export on my Microsoft Surface Pro, so not too expensive an effect.

2 Likes

Great, @Elusien!! Thanks for the instructions - useful.

How about this?
Took less than 2 minutes:

How I did it: Went to https://codepen.io/peralP/pen/qBRdKXz
Replaced words (left panel) with SHOTCUT, 100%, Brilliant.
Magnified size of browser with CTRL+wheel.
Captured the whole screen for 15 seconds using ShareX.
Imported resulting MP4 into Shotcut.
Applied Crop:Rectangle filter to isolate just the design.
Applied Size Position Rotate filter to centre the design.
Added some music (“Candide Overture” by Leonard Bernstein).
Exported as an MP4.

Design by “PeralP”.

2 Likes

Not bad at all, as I said to @seemon I’d probably go the HTML route, similar to the neon-glow credits here:

that I did with webvfx and my “final credits generator”:

https://elusien.co.uk/shotcut/video-credits/index.html

Nice … ok will try this Elusien.
Say … what’s the “Level” panel about … never thought we had this before … or is another way to display the key frame? Looks better than the previous version. Thought I am using the latest version.

Wait … is the elusien credits still working in latest shotcut version !!.
I stop doing credit as I don’t have easy way to do it … atleast I thought so after “HTML” overlap thingy was remove … or maybe I just didn’t understand.

I’m using version 20.11.27 and the “level” pane has been there since as long as I can remember keyframes being introduced, so I’m sure they are there on the latest version. I can’t imagine Dan removing such a useful feature.

Unfortunately my “Credits” use the old Shotcut’s WebVfx feature (there is a disclaimer on the webpage stating this). I keep a copy of version 20.07.11 which was the last to support this feature and use that to create HTML effects that I save as a transparent .mov file, or green screen that I import into later versions that don’t support WebVfx. It is even easier if transparency is not required.

Nice and easy!
Love it!

I was just thinking of a single one glow right after the highlighting and than the glow sets down :slight_smile: