Hardware: Dell XPS 15 7590
Processor: Intel Core i7-9750H
Graphics: NVIDIA TU117M GeForce
64-Bit
16 GB RAM

Shotcut Verion 21.05.18 installed using Snap
Display Method: OpenGL
360p Preview Scaling

When I begin working on a project, RAM incrementally builds to 100% RAM usage over the span of ~20 mins, forcing me to save/close the project and restart. It doesn’t matter what source files I’m using, the outcome is always the same.

When I open an MLT file (any MLT file), RAM usage immediatley jumps from 2.8GB to 8GB. I can only work on a project for a short amount of time before RAM reaches 100% and I’m forced to save/close the project and restart.

When exporting any file, the RAM reaches 100% and the app crashes before it can be completed. (the process that quickly reaches 100% RAM usage is /snap/shotcut/347/Shotcut.app/bin/melt-7 -verbose -progress2 -abort xml:%2Ftmp%2Fshotcut-zgjluw.mlt)

I have been using Shotcut for almost 4 years now and while I’ve had issues mostly related to the UI, I have only been seeing this memory usage problem for the last few weeks. It started as an inconvenience but has reached a level where I cannot create projects at all.

When I attempt to revert back to a previous version of Shotcut using snap, I receive a message stating there is not a version to revert to. And whether I’m using my dedicated graphics card to run Shotcut or not, the problem persists.

can it be a problem similar to the one described here?

You can use an older AppImage version
Releases · mltframework/shotcut · GitHub

It doesn’t seem to be exactly the same as my issue, since I wasn’t having any issues with the editor’s memory usage, but the rendering problem definitely looks the same.