Select part of a video to edit using just the mouse instead of cutting with keys

Hello,

As this is very common in audio editing, it would be very nice and simple to select part of a video using the mouse (click and drag) to be, for example, moved, or cut out.

Instead, we have to split the track using “s” positioning the cursor 2 times. this is very time consuming and very annoying.

My suggestion is just to use the mouse, click on the video, and drag the mouse to the desidered position, then release the cursor (unclick) and voila’, the part is selected for cut, editing, filters etc. to do stuff.

I think this is a very fast way to do things. Cutting the “film” is something from the past (there’s no film here, it’s digital) and in audio editing software (that was a tape, too) it’s the norm.

Let’s get rid of the “cut the film” thing from the past, we’re in 2024! :slight_smile:

I really believe this can do a lot to speed up editing times. Too many keys to press for almost everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

Source Editing:
shotcut_2024-07-08_12-12-34

Timeline Editing:
Ensure Snap is turned off.
shotcut_2024-07-08_12-10-25

1 Like

I think what @Asbesto means is to be able to delete any part of a clip. Not just the ends.

You can do this in Audacity.

• Select any part of the clip
  • Delete the selected part using the Edit menu,
    or keyboard shortcuts (Delete or Ctrl + X)

Instead of removing what you do not want, add what you do want. Your viewers will thank you. Instead of having long videos with garbage removed, you have fewer, better shots.

Open the clip in the source player first before adding it to the timeline. Choose what you want using the technique shown in the first screencast above. Then, add it to the timeline. This is the way professionals work. It is a common technique called 3-point editing: in & out from the source plus the playhead is the third. Keyboard shortcuts can be used to add the shot to the timeline in this technique because it is faster and more accurate than drag-n-drop.

Alternatively, you can use ripple trim in and out shortcuts on the timeline. For example, you do not need to split twice and then remove. You can split once where you want to start removing and then Shift+I to Timeline > menu > Edit > Ripple Trim Clip In where you want to end removing. Yes, you need to position the playhead twice, but it is good to see what you are doing. With a time range selection you would need to instead drag the two ends, and then do something, which is effectively the same thing. So, basically it looks and feels a little different than whatever audio tool you are using. Well, too bad.

The problem with selecting a time span by dragging the mouse on the timeline is it can span multiple clips and tracks making things awkward to include and exclude. Parts of clips on other tracks you are not focused on unexpectedly split apart and (re)move (similar to Ripple All Tracks). Also, it crowds the timeline ruler, which is used for markers and scrubbing.

Exactly. This will be SO SIMPLE and intuitive.

This doesn’t address the technical suggestion. And my viewers like the way I do my videos, so thank you :slight_smile:

It doesn’t actually mean there’s no better way to do stuff. We don’t have physical films anymore. In the audio editing software this was understood a long time ago, and editing a lot of audio track using the mouse is, simply, faster and intuitive.

just look at all those steps you have to do, instead of just click → drag. This is awful. It works, ok, it’s the way people do professionally, yes. But maybe because they don’t have alternatives?

But why we don’t have any of those problems editing audio?

Anyway it’s jjust a suggestion :slight_smile:

1 Like

The current approach is not based on film. I have never worked with film. Split exists because it is necessary. It cannot be removed.

just look at all those steps you have to do, instead of just click → drag.

@MusicalBox video only looks quick and simple because it was like shooting in the dark. He does not show finding the start and the end. That approach is 3 steps:

1. find the start
  2. find the end
  3. do something

What I described is actually only 2 steps because it collapses steps 2 & 3.

It’s not a totally wrong idea to select something by click and drag. It already exists in Shotcut for selecting clips by dragging a rectangle. And it is still useful with one or a few tracks where you can choose to lock some. I am just saying I do not think it as useful as you think, explaining others ways to work, and not obvious how to fit it into what already exists.

I cannot simply make it work like Audacity where dragging inside of a clip selects part of it. That would conflict with dragging a clip to move it. In Audacity you need to click and drag the title bar of a clip to move it. That would be too big of a change to Shotcut, and I will not do that. Do you have another idea?

2 Likes

How many mouse clicks to draw a box of this exact time selection perfectly the 1st time without using the keyboard?

This is a 1-second selection.

Or repeat this with a 2hr, 40m, 59.000s section from a 3hr clip.