Scrolling Text

I downloaded Shotcut just for this project but, since I have no idea what I am doing, I am having issues. I have an immediate need to scroll some text (a eulogy for my mom) on a looping video background. I have several copies of the video in my timeline that total five minutes. And I copied the text into the text:HTML file, but when I go to save the file as a MP4, I get a 0 byte file. Can someone please give me some simple steps on how to accomplish this? With all of the other things that need to be done before the memorial service in a couple of days, I just don’t have the time to spend hours trying to figure this out on my own.

This short tutorial should help you with your project.

Thanks. I didn’t realize that the file took so long to render and write out. I was looking at it early on before the file size on it began to grow. I guess I’m used to apps that write out a temp file first and have a lot better indications that the process is still going.

Is there any way to slow down the scrolling of the text so that it ends at the same time the video ends?

Extend the Text HTML clip all the way to the end of the video.

4 Likes

I have no idea how to do that. I have never done video editing before, so all of this is new to me. I have the file of text formatted in my filters, but how do I get it into my timeline where I assume I would need to stretch it?

Youtube is your friend. Here is a link to a bunch of Youtube videos that demonstrate scrolling text in Shotcut.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shotcut+scrolling+text

On the timeline, hover over the right-hand edge of a clip until the edge turns red. Then click and drag out this edge to the right.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.