Rotate picture over a video clip

Hello,
I want to ‘plant’ a small picture (or object) on a video clip. The picture is somewhere at the top of the video clip. How to make it rotate while its moving from the top of the clip down to the bottom of the clip.
Answers will be appreciated.
Thanks
Motim

Shotcut version 20.11.28

1 Like

Put the new video clip on new track on top of the main clip, then use Size, Position and Rotate to both move and spin the video.

I would take some techniques from this tutorial: https://youtu.be/-wNTtv-oSVs

1 Like

I was making this (bellow) while @bentacular gave you his answer :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Here’s a quick video I made, showing how I rotate and move a picture.

And the result:

You need to be familiar with how keyframes work.

There is a tutorial about Keyframes on the Shotcut Tutorial page.
Our friend @bentacular also made a good tutorial about Keyframes. You can watch it here.

1 Like

Yay!

Hello,
Thanks for the demos. I’ll have to do some practice.
Just one more question, please. In the demo there is an one time rotation, how do you make it rotate more then once, say twice ?
Answers will be appreciated.
Thanks
Motim

https://streamable.com/5mh1hi

For more rotations you will need mo’ keyframes.

Project for you to look at.

Spin.zip (9.7 KB)

6 Likes

Hello,
Thanks for the answer and demo. Loaded the .mlt file and tried to follow it.
I am trying the rotation filter. But how to place two keyframes at the same position, one at 360 degrees and the other at 0 degrees. What I mean, after one round, have to start another round, so have to place a new keyframe at the same playhead position, this I do not get. sorry.
Some explanation can help.
Thanks
Motim

The clip of @sauron is in 25 fps so 360°/25 = 14,4°.
When you reach 360°, you place the next one at 14.4.

Here. Maybe this will help you

@Namna is correct.

For 3 rotations in 3 seconds.

Set the first keyframe at 0°, advance the playhead 1 second, set a kf at 360°, move ahead 1 second set another kf at 360°, move ahead 1 second and set a final kf at 360°

Go to each kf at 360° move the playhead forward 1 frame set a kf at 14.4°, repeat. Leave the last kf at 360° to end the rotation.

360° / framerate = rotation per frame.

3 Likes

Hello,
Thanks for the answers, demos and explanation.
Finally got it, now I’ll do some practicing first.
Thanks
Motim

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.