Resizing Text Filters When Changing Video Mode?

Hello,

I have a project file which I used to put together a brief opening title for a video series. It is 1920x1080. Recently I created a custom video mode and I am switching over to that one as my default editing preset. It is 4096x2048. I want to use this resolution for the original project file I mentioned above but when I switch video modes, the text is misaligned and is much smaller.

I know that the switch from 1920x1080 to 4096x2048 has left the fonts in their original size and positions. My question is: Is there an easier way to upscale those text filters to fit the new resolution without having to do it all manually? I want the opening title to look exactly (or as close to) the original as possible. I tried doing it manually but I can’t seem to get it right.

Thanks in advance!

I wish! Actually, I don’t know for sure but I think this is a manual process if you want it almost the same. I am happy to be corrected however.

If you are struggling then feel free to throw up a screenshot or sample of your intro so we know what you are after. Then attach a zip in here with the mlt and the associated files, and I’ll have a look when I get a moment if someone doesn’t beat me to it (depending on how much work is involved, but you did use the word brief).

Going from 1920x1080 (16:9 Aspect Ratio) to 4096x2048 (2 Aspect Ratio) wouldn’t be upsizing as the two aspect ratios don’t match. I believe the correct term would be skewing.

Example
Text Simple filter with font size at 200px with the 1920x1080 resolution.
Going from 1920 to 4096 is 2.13
Going from 1080 to 2048 is 1.89

Font size 200px at 2.13 = 426px
Font size 200px at 1.89 = 378px

To answer your question: There is no easier way. You’ll be able to get close, but they will not match 100%. This is just one of the challenges with changing Video Mode’s mid-project, especially with different aspect ratios.

Perhaps someone else in the forum could come up with a better solution/answer. I only addressed just the size of the font, not the placement.

Thank you for the responses!

PoisonedSlice, I appreciate the offer but I’ll go ahead and do it on my own. I’ve been using Shotcut for about a year now and I’m still discovering what it has to offer. No better way to learn than through trial and error (at least that method works best for me, lol).

Hudson555x, I will give that method a try.

Perhaps automatic text filter resizing could be addressed in a future version of Shotcut…?

1 Like

That is the correct response :wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.