Removing transition (with restoring previous clips)

Hi,

Sometimes I make transition between two clips unintentionally. I mean I move one clip not noticing it ex. by 2 frames and then two clips are joined by transition. Is there any way to de-split the clips in the way to get the original clips (with previous lenght)? As just simple transition deleting makes clips shorter.

I don’t mean clicking on Undo as it might be done only when I notice that I have unwanted transition quite quickly after making this error. But when I notice it ex. 1 h after doing this, any undo is not what I dream about. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is how i do it

1 Like

The original post has been much requested along with other transition improvements like behaviors when deleting or moving a clip involved. The video Tim shows is an enhancement to the advice to simply lift the transition and trim the clips to fill by making the trim to the center point accurate. Center is not always the best option, and this edit point more than likely needs to be revisited. Yet another thing to do is change the transition Properties to a “Cut” and leave the transition in place.

1 Like

This method is not quite right. You have to drag the start of the 2nd clip to the START of the transition (not the MIDDLE) then move the 2nd clip out of the way and drag the END of the 1st clip to the END of the transition (not the MIDDLE), then butt the start of the 2nd clip up against the end of the 1st. As shown in the video below:

It depends on what you want. My consideration for the change in behavior for the removal of a transition was to automate Tim’s method instead of yours. What happens to the following clips on the track when you move the clip on the right? Obviously, it depends on ripple, but today, when ripple is off, that may create another transition or an overwrite either of which you did not want. Now I am inclined not make any change or improvement here because it will lead to complaints or bug reports. At least now you have more control with a greater understanding from the limited set of operations.

1 Like

@Elusien @TimLau Sorry I didn’t search for this. Firstly because it’s very manual work and time consuming. But secondly in this way you loose part of video or audio, ex. 2 seconds or sth. Sure this idea is good ex. when having jpg image but not for audio or video clips on track.

@shotcut The OP’s original query was:

Tim’s method does not do this - each clip is short by <N> frames, where <N> is half the transition length. I didn’t state explicitly that you had to have Ripple On, but the video does show this. I should have made it more clear.

I think any change you make that says “Undo a Transition” should restore the two clips to their original length before the transition was made, which is what I suspect the majority (if not all) users would want. If I made a transition and immediately afterwards said “Undo Transition” and didn’t get the clips back in the state they were before the transition I would think the “Undo Transition” method was not working correctly.

Not if you follow the procedure I outined. If you watch the video it shows that there are no frames lost.

I have to test it… But still there is a lot of manual work.

As Dan points out, there is (at present?) no “Undo Transition” method. So if you want to undo a transition you have to do it manually. Don’t forget Dan’s warning about the effect of not having Ripple switched on.

1 Like

“previous length” is ambiguous because there is more than one way to make a transition.

Say I accidentally make a transition by overlapping clips and want to immediately rectify this I can do so by pressing Ctrlz. If there was an “Undo Transition” function and I used that instead I would expect it to do the same, not give me back 2 clips that are different in length from what they were before I did the transition.

Say I made the transition accidentally but didn’t know until I had made 20 changes to my audio track. I
don’t want to undo all those audio changes so I would have to use the “Undo Transition”. Again, if it did not give me back the 2 clips exactly as they were before I accidentally made transition I would say that the “Undo Transition” function was not working correctly. I don’t think I’m being unreasonable in expecting it to work this way.

2 Likes

After 20 other changes, it is not entirely clear that you want to move clips around because some may have been moved to sync with things on other tracks.

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable in expecting it to work this way.

Asking for more free stuff that I do not agree with for free can be considered unreasonable.

2 Likes

I’m not asking for free stuff. I am quite happy to undo transitions as I always have, using the method I outlined above. It isn’t something I do very often.

I am merely stating that if you do produce an “Undo Transition” function that doesn’t return the clips back to the state they were in before you did the transition then users will be confused and claim it’s a bug, rather than a feature. Having done a search I can see that most posts on this forum that say they would like a way of undoing a transition state that they would like the clips to return to their original length.

2 Likes

How does it work in other video editors?

If you by right mean, that the clips are exactly before the transition was made, the problem here that you if you extend both clips, then you ripple the timeline and potential mess up the timing with other tracks made after the transaction. So my method is more like removing a transaction in a way that don’t mess up the timing of the timeline.
A real undo can only be performed “correctly” by undoing the all actions done until before the transition was made in the first place and you will loose all changes made after.
Another problem is that, if the transaction is made by a mistake and you first find out much later, you need to know how the transaction was made to be able to resize the clips to the size before the transaction, there is 4 ways and that information don’t exist in the transition itself.

2 Likes

Thanks for showing the various options of how to make the transitions.

I’ve always used the “drag one clip over the other”, not the “extend one clip over the other”, since the transition is usually needed at the absolute end of one clip and the absolute beginning of another and you cannot extend these. Also, doing a transition by the “extend one clip over the other” method restores the part that I deliberately deleted, so why would I do that? It’s an option that others might use, but I doubt if I ever would.

So the answer to the OP’s question

is basically, “Possibly, if you know how you did the transition and know what you are doing”.

1. If you did it by extending one of the clips, you delete the transition and extend the clip you didn’t extend last time, making sure you do not have “Ripple” on.
  2. If you did it by dragging one clip over another you turn “Ripple” (and probably “Ripple All Tracks”) on and extend both clips according to the method I showed.

In 1) you shouldn’t need to worry too much as you will not affect other clips, nor their synchronicity. In 2) you should be very careful as clips will move and synchronicity between tracks may be affected.

2 Likes

Thanks for all those explanations. It would be still nice to have some function automatically removing transitions. But it’s probably much easier to say than to do… :stuck_out_tongue:

What is what my example shows, that are 4 cases and no information about witch one was used, to for an automatic removal you must select one action for what to do with the space under the transition.
It’s a little like a time travel paradox, where you go back in time and change something and when you go back to now, then it might have changed things to something you don’t expected.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go so deeply… Simply for me transition object should keep state (=have additional properties/data stored in the moment when transition is created) which should allow to make de-split automatically. I’m not saying it’s easy but for sure it doesn’t require travelling in time… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like