Remember Mode For Rectangle Control & Extend Timeline Zoom Scope

Currently, when you switch to the mode for the rectangle control so that you can move it from anywhere inside, that setting will be forgotten if you toggle to another filter and back or if you select another clip and go back. Can this be fixed so the switch in rectangle control will be remembered?

The second suggestion has to do with the scope of the zoom in the timeline. Right now, when the timeline is given the widest possible space zooming all the way out only covers about 1 hour and 40 minutes before you will have to start scrolling left and right to see more.

This is a problem if the project’s run time is more than that. Once the timeline grows past an hour the zoom function slows down considerably and it lags when zooming in and out. Additionally, the accuracy of the zoom plummets. If the timeline is 2 hours or more, zooming in can throw the focus of the zoom way off to much earlier in the timeline. I’m not sure if these are bugs or a result of the current limitation of the zoom. I have seen other editors have the scope of the zoom be far bigger. Kdenlive has about an 11 hour scope when zoomed all the back. Can this be updated in Shotcut?

1 Like

@shotcut, any thoughts on the first suggestion?

Currently, when you switch to the mode for the rectangle control so that you can move it from anywhere inside, that setting will be forgotten if you toggle to another filter and back or if you select another clip and go back. Can this be fixed so the switch in rectangle control will be remembered?

Yeah, maybe I will get around to it but like nearly all suggestions here and elsewhere not now.

So there is an update regarding the second issue I made for this thread:

This is a problem if the project’s run time is more than that. Once the timeline grows past an hour the zoom function slows down considerably and it lags when zooming in and out. Additionally, the accuracy of the zoom plummets. If the timeline is 2 hours or more, zooming in can throw the focus of the zoom way off to much earlier in the timeline.

I am posting this because of the beta 20.09 notes that say:

• Improved the performance of the Timeline especially with projects over one hour long.

@shotcut, I know that you are aware that the improvements are only limited to zooming in and not zooming out as of now. However just to make sure you have all the info because when I started this thread proxy was not available there is also a slow down when turning proxy on and off with a long project depending on the level of zoom. So with a project I have that is almost 3 hours long, turning on and off proxy when zoomed all the way out takes about 2 seconds. When zoomed all the way in, it takes about 6 seconds.