Recurring text filters (version 21.12)

I have installed Shotcut version 21.12.24 to my Ubuntu and trying to put some texts frames in my video. There are some advices for older versions, but they seem not work for me.

• Can I create a multiple text? I Tried to do something which jmenlo2000 described in Subtitles- help - #2 by jonray, but I can’t manage key frames. Why the first text reappear under to the next text again?
  • How can I select the text font?

The video you mention is out of date. It uses a Text filter that no longer exists. The easiest way is to:

• Put your video on the bottom track (V1)
  • Create a second track (V2) and select it.
  • Use the button Open Other and choose the option “Text” from the dropdown list.
  • Choose the colour “Transparent”, which will create a transparent clip with the “Text: Simple” filter applied.
  • Drag this to V2 and position and size according to your needs.
  • You can change the font by clicking on the relevant parts of the filter parameters.

See the image below

2 Likes

Yes, there are different versions. What is your version of Shotcut? My UI does not have the line for font selection at all!

You used the “Text: Rich” filter, where the font-size is accessed by clicking the A on the Visual Interface in the “preview screen”.

I used the “Text: Simple” filter.

The main problem is how to define the times where the text appears and where it disappears. There is something basic I don’t understand.

First I add a new file (transparent color) to my 2nd track called “text”, then new filter Text: Rich. Now there are no time limits for it. Propably in Key Frames view I should manage those limits, but how?

( When clicking diligently everywhere, occasionally the limits are changed, but what is the preferred path to do the task? :thinking: )

Do the following:

• Put your video on the bottom track (V1)
  • Create a second track (V2) and select it.
  • Use the button Open Other and choose the option “Color” from the dropdown list.
  • Choose the colour “Transparent”, which will create a transparent clip.
  • Drag this to V2 and position it to the point in the timeline where you want it to start.
  • Grab the right-hand border (red outline) and drag it to the point on the timeline you want it to end.
  • Apply the Text:Rich, or Text:Simple filter as needed.

You can copy this clip and paste it at a different part of V2 and modify its end-point again as well as the text.

Thank you both!

I was looking the video when a clip in the V2 track (which I named “text”) was selected.

1. When a clip is selected, the text shows continuously though the whole video.
  2. When first selecting V1 everything looks nice!

This tutorial might help you, if you are not sorted already by the excellent advice earlier:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.